Chopping Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brisbanemate

Reaction score
Hi all, to practice some woodworking techniques and hopefully make some handmade presents, I’m looking at making some chopping boards. what wood would be best to use? I have some Ash slabs I could use, but not sure if Ash is suitable as there seems to be divided opinions on this? Thanks in advance.

I've chopping boards at home made from oak, beech, rubberwood, sycamore, and bamboo they are all much the same. I'm sure any wood would suffice. However, ash tends to be quite open grained so you could end up with food debris getting in them. Having said this my oak chopping board is fairly open grained, and it's fine after a quick scrub. Ash is also fairly soft so you could find it marks badly with use. Beech is probably the most traditional wood to use.

I've chopping boards at home made from oak, beech, rubberwood, sycamore, and bamboo they are all much the same. I'm sure any wood would suffice. However, ash tends to be quite open grained so you could end up with food debris getting in them. Having said this my oak chopping board is fairly open grained, and it's fine after a quick scrub. Ash is also fairly soft so you could find it marks badly with use. Beech is probably the most traditional wood to use.
Thanks for the info. Might pracice with Ash, as wasn't expensive, then use some nicer/better wood?

I've often practiced on an off cut and decided it's good enough for the finished product. You have the wood, no harm in assuming it will be the final item, crack on.

I've made three out of beech (from thick offcuts left over from building my workbench) for various family members and friends. Then I made an oak one for a mate of my son's. These are all 400 x 400mm. And I have a massive slab of London Plane for one for my son for his birthday, to replace a much thinner one I made for him around a decade ago.

Craig

I don't like open pore woods for chopping boards, beech and sycamore are preferable.

Back