Choosing an estate agent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch out for which language they speak. Most of us round here use an ancient language on the odd occassion called "b*ll*x" - most estate agents I've had dealings with speak the most original dialect of it, "pure b*ll*x" :lol:

Seriously, don't let them tie you in too firmly (e.g. "we have sole rights to your property for 6 months" and the like). If they can't sell in an agreed period, give them the elbow, after all, you are paying their wages!

Scrit

Watch out for low valuation high % fee to give quick sale ,lower return for you with good return for them.

think about if you was buying from them, are they tucked away in the back of nowhere? If so no one's going to see your house in their window. Dont be afraid to barter over the %.

Roger,

Take a look in your local paper or the agents' windows and see who tends to list properties like yours. They'll attract the sort of people looking for that sort of thing, and also they'll have a good idea how to sell yours. Dunno if the American-style realtor type has got to your part of the world yet, but that's what my sister-in-law is working for now, so keep the estate agent jokes to a minimum, chaps. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

A) Choose someone with a shopfront locally.
B) Don't accept anyone that doesn't use Rightmove.co.uk to advertise you property.
C) Check out who has most signs in the areas.
D) Refuse a tie-in
E) 1-1.5% is OK. I'm on dual agency as we speak, and am still only on 1.5% - it depends on how competative the local market is. My local road junction has 4 estate agents, with another just down the road. That makes 5 in direct competition with each other - works well for consumers...
F) Ignore the "highest" valuation - they are just winding you up to get the property. They'll deflate you later.
G) Refuse to sign up to any "on the day" for their "special percentage".
H) Look for someone bright and cheery
I) get a mate to visit - and see how good they are. Better still, ring one up and ask to view a proeprty in the area - and see how they show you round.

Hows that?

Adam

Back