Choosing a scroll-saw. Why pay more? the answer is here.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant video Scrimper helped me loads as a newbie thanks.
Guess what I'm searching for now 😁
Quick question though what model is yours? The ones I've looked at quickly don't seem to have the quick release tensioner on them.
Hello Urrgly, sorry I have only just seen your question. My Hegner is the Multicut 2s variable, I bought it in Dec 1999 and it's still working as good as when new. Again sorry for the delay in replying. John.

I had a Delta 18" variable speed scroll saw. It was a brilliant machine until the clamp head broke and i couldn't get a replacement. After numerous calls to America I eventually gave up and bought an Axminster with an even deeper throat - it was rubbish in comparison, so much vibration you just couldn't keep a steady cut.

I found although the Delta was a great machine, I had problems getting spare parts as they came from the USA.

I had a Delta 18" variable speed scroll saw. It was a brilliant machine until the clamp head broke and i couldn't get a replacement. After numerous calls to America I eventually gave up and bought an Axminster with an even deeper throat - it was rubbish in comparison, so much vibration you just couldn't keep a steady cut.

I found although the Delta was a great machine, I had problems getting spare parts as they came from the USA.
I have an old Delta and bought a several more for spares, not that I needed to, so I sold them on. Keep an eye on ebay or other second hand sites for a cheap machine, I would consider around £75 reasonable for a non runner but with the quickset clamps in good condition.

IMO, they're great, but (new) well over-priced for what they are/what you get, and spares are outrageously expensive. But IF you can find a SH one at a good price, I'd say go for it. Check around on here (and elsewhere) for what " a good price" means these days.

What are your thoughts on a Hegner 2s ?
For my opinion you can watch my Video here-

AES is 100% correct about expensive parts, however the saws are very reliable and in my case in 23 years of owning one I have spent £20.00 for a new bellows and fitted a new switch (Cost me nowt I used a switch from an old hairdryer it's a standard mini rocker switch cost about £1 which Hegner charge £24 for)!

What are the thoughts around the original Somerville Excalibur Scroll Saws? I picked up a 30" a little while ago, not so much because I have a need, just because I have always wanted one. :) It is missing a screw in the table and the speed knob is missing and the switch will need to be replaced to fit one. Still works as is though.

Pete

IMG_5355.jpg

I've only read about those Pete, but I bought it's "little son" (the General International Excalibur 21 inch model). That was 6 years ago now. Mine was expensive, even though it was made in Taiwan, and I guess some of the reasons are that A) GI have kept to a good materials & fasteners spec; B) they've made some improvements to that original design; and C) their assy and QC processes are tip top. In short I'm delighted with mine. Not only was it cheaper than the Hegner (I actually tried both alongside) but it has more "bang for the buck" (features such as the tilting head, which I find invaluable).

In short, I'm delighted with mine, and with the right blade it will do more than you probably think - inc sheet metal work.

BTW, IF your missing machine screw to retain the table is metric like mine (I think it's 8 mm standard coarse, but can check tomorrow) and if you can't easily get one, shout out and I'll put one in the post to you.

Edit for P.S. I presume that you know your machine (and it's design) originated in Canada?

Thanks for the kind offer AES but I'm good. Because of the age of the saw I'm pretty sure it is imperial and may even have a little box of them squirrelled away. If not there is a Bolt Warehouse in town and they have both metric and imperial fasteners in a supermarket sized store. While the tilting head might be nice the $500Cad I paid makes it a small sacrifice over the General International, no longer in business by the way. I watched a Somerville sales rep demo the saw in the 80s at a wood show, cut a reindeer/elk complete with antlers out of a block of wood no bigger than a sugar cube.

Pete

@ Inspector: You wrote, QUOTE: ... small sacrifice over the General International, no longer in business by the way. UNQUOTE:

Now that's interesting! Any more info on that please?

AFAIK/have heard, GI had/has a v good rep for all sorts of machinery, not just scroll saws, and for both wood and metal work too. Certainly, I think every member on here is of one mind in praising their GI/Excalibur scroll saws. (See Droogs' post above as one example).

But there has been at least one attempt by a UK supplier/manufacturer to clone the Excalibur scroll saws, and again based on all the feedback seen here on UKW, these clones have been little short of disastrous. So I'm wondering if GI going bust may have something to do with that?

I don't know the exact reason GI went under but I think it has more to do with trying to compete in a saturated market where most of the people looking for machines are after the lowest prices. GI was in the upper end of that bunch and the profits might not have been what the owners were after.

What I meant by small sacrifice was that I was giving up the tilting head for the tilting table at a nice price of about 288pounds. When I get to it I suppose I could make a tilting top stand to mount the saw on to get the same advantage you have with the tilting head, just with two adjustments rather than one. Or jump on a GI if it ever comes along and have two saws. 😁 The deals always show up when you don't need or expect them along with not having the space for them.

Pete

Very interesting, I wonder if that is what made Axi start manufacturing their version of the excalibur having been the UK dealer and suddenly finding themselfve's without a product to sell. Just a pity they muffed it and went El cheapo on the components, loss of stregth, rigidity and reputation :rolleyes:

Very interesting, I wonder if that is what made Axi start manufacturing their version of the excalibur having been the UK dealer and suddenly finding themselfve's without a product to sell. Just a pity they muffed it and went El cheapo on the components, loss of stregth, rigidity and reputation :rolleyes:

I'm trying to find out a bit more (like who's making the Excali version now?) and will advise if I can get some good gen.

Likely the same people that made the GI versions. They are making them to a price point that the purchasers are demanding. If asked to make the best they would be defect free and cost double or triple. The race to the bottom.

Pete

Andy are the Pegas badged machines still available over there?

Back