Choosing a new drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyB

Established Member
Reaction score
My B&D 550W mains hammer drill that's served me fine for all sorts of DIY, woodwork, etc for nearly 25 years has just died on me. Nothing spectacular like smoke, sparks, etc. And not dropped or anything. But just dead. Checked the fuse, etc ... still dead.

First question. Is it likely to be repairable ... if so, what to look for, where, etc?

Second question. What should I replace it with. I have the little Makita 10V Li-On drill/driver set which is handy for small/light jobs (good buy) but no good for heavier stuff - like drilling into masonry. Should I be looking at an 18V Li-On Bosch/Makita/De Walt or the like? Some of the forum posts I've found on searches have rubbished the hammer drill options on the cordless stuff - do I still need a mains impact drill - or is that for "professional" "all-day" heavy working rather than hobbyist, house maintenance, etc? What have you got, or would you get?

I got the 18v Makita from the Screwfix deal over christmas (the £99 deal is still on. Drill+2 batteries). I notice there is a drill on 10% offer tomorrow, not sure which one yet though. As a drill/driver its pretty good and was a step up from my little 12v B&D one that was given to me a while ago (still working)

I've not used it on masonry yet, but will be in the next fortnight as a few things will be going into brick/concrete block and breezeblock so could update this then. I will only be putting in plugs though so nothing fancy mate. I see SDS drills as tools for chiseling away masonry or for those massive bits. Arn't they overkill for general DIY stuff? Maybe I'll find out soon lol

However, while screwing in some noggins on some 6x2 csl the other week the Makita met its match. Using some big boy Spax self coutnersinking screws into the joists and noggins it couldn't quite get them fully in even in drill mode. My builder mate was using his Festool drill/driver which was happy to drill them right through the timber if required! So I did most and he followed up with the Festool.

The difference I believe (apart from price) is the ampage of the drill. Voltage was in my favour but my ampage was something like 1.7 and his was 3. Thats off the top of my head. Festool drills are expensive but well worth it if you've got the extra to spend. I've seen the light, shame my wallet hasn't :)

Has a wire broken in the lead i have had this a number of times just cut and re terminate.To test pull each individual wire .

i got the black and white anniversary 18volt li-on makita off my inlaws for fitting their kitchen last year.
i use it on site for drilling into nearly everything and i cant fault it.. think you can pick them up for £150 now but they only have 1 battery.

I've got the old style ni-cd (red batteries) makita drills, of which i have had the 18v combi model for the best part of four years now and use day in day out on site.
I have found that for kitchen fitting and the like where im only using common plugs (6-8mm) the hammer function has been plenty good enough for nearly all my drilling especially if you use a good quality sharp bit. It only really struggles in really tough concrete like lintels over doors and windows, then i have to resort to the sds drill but its not very often.
Hope this helps.

leverb01507":3bxmfxig said:
I've got the old style ni-cd (red batteries) makita drills, of which i have had the 18v combi model for the best part of four years now and use day in day out on site.
I have found that for kitchen fitting and the like where im only using common plugs (6-8mm) the hammer function has been plenty good enough for nearly all my drilling especially if you use a good quality sharp bit. It only really struggles in really tough concrete like lintels over doors and windows, then i have to resort to the sds drill but its not very often.
Hope this helps.

I got one of those to replace my dead Bosches, and for hobby/diy it seems fine, well balanced though heavy, and easy to use. Under £100 at the moment from Screwfix and B&Q.

I'd buy two drills. For masonry work, a mains powered SDS drill. Once you've got one, you'll realise how inadequate ordinary hammer drills are.

Then a second, non-hammer drill for woodworking tasks.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2rswphj0 said:
I'd buy two drills. For masonry work, a mains powered SDS drill. Once you've got one, you'll realise how inadequate ordinary hammer drills are.

Then a second, non-hammer drill for woodworking tasks.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Ditto (well almost). I have a DeWalt 18v cordless which has hammer. I also have a Makita SDS mains powered, 3 function (i.e. drill, hammer, chisel). My house is made of industrial bricks. The DeWalt gets there eventually, the SDS is like a knife through butter.

If a new drill is required I don't think it's worth buying another DIY model when the trade models are only fractionally dearer or even less if you look out for the deals.
DM tools or even Screwfix have several bargains at moment.
Screwfix currently selling Makita's "Site" corded percussion drill for under £40 and DM tools got couple of SDS for under £70.
I have a nice 1000W Metabo percussion which should see me ok for another 15 years.

Alex.

OLD":ohcmwveg said:
Has a wire broken in the lead i have had this a number of times just cut and re terminate.To test pull each individual wire .

Especially where it enters the drill at the rubber grommet/reinforcer.

Also agree with Paul C. I never use my Bosch mains drill anymore. It used to be my mainstay but now used for mixing paint and plaster.

RogerS":3nfa7cej said:
Also agree with Paul C. I never use my Bosch mains drill anymore. It used to be my mainstay but now used for mixing paint and plaster.

Thats what i use my dads drill for :lol:

On the subject of mixing paint (and possibly good for plaster too) - knicked the whisk attachments from my wife's old mixer. Very good for using in the drill to mix small quantities. :lol:

Latest posts

Back