Choosing a dust extractor ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I've read most of the comments on this forum, and quite a lot elsewhere, but I would appreciate feedback relating to the choice of dust extraction equipment.

Main dust producing equipment (planned):

TS2500CI Tablesaw
HMS260IC Planer/thicknesser
BS350 Bandsaw

A wall mounted unit is attractive because of the saving in floor space. I plan to install ducting etc. as soon as time is available, but to start with I will connect the unit to each machine as required.

Collection of fine dust is important.

Possible candidates:

Axminster: WV1000 Mk II
Camvac: GV286W
Record: RSDE3
Record: DX5000

Comments on the above and suggestion of any I haven't thought of would be appreciated ...

Hello LeeElms, I have the Record DX5000 and i think it's brilliant. I had problems with the bag imploding (don't half make you jump) at first when I kept blocking the hose but got round that by making a vacum release valve out of a thinner plastic bag, a bit of trial and error is required. I extended the fixed pipework a little and then stretched a peice of thinner plastic bag over the end and secured it with a strong rubber band, now whenever the hose is blocked the thinner plastic blows before the bag does and lets the extractor pull free air.
Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Pigwhippit.

Having read most of the posts here on extraction like yourself.
I have finally decided to sell my Fox 2hp chip collector (great machine, but I want 0.5 micron filtering).
I have just ordered the Camvac wallmount, the reason I chose CamVac from the others on your list was simply because they actually manufacture the machines (the others are just resellers of badged machines) and they can tailor make to your spec, ie: if you want an extra motor fitted, larger dust ports etc. And they do a complete kit to plumb it in at reasonable prices. I saw a demo 2 weeks ago and was impressed. And it's competitively priced against the others you mentioned.

:)

Hi fixit,

I just bought a Camvac 336 with two motors plus the 63mm tubing kit. My reasons for buying Camvac was they had a special deal at the IWTE show and the salesman seemed to know what he was talking about.

I haven't really used it yet but it has a terrific amount of suction, rice puddings are skinless around here for a 50m radius! I think that it has one possible major benefit - it has an outlet port that you can plug a hose into and duct it away. Much of the noise is from the outlet port so this instantly makes it much quieter. I plan to experiment with this over Xmas to see how much of a reduction I can get.

Wulf

Hi Wulf,

At least I'm not alone with the Camvac :D . I to noticed the difference by ducting the exhaust away, when I saw the demo. I looked at the 336, but decided on the 150lt wall mount with 100mm outlet as I have a Felder coming soon and it would fill the 336 quicker than I could empty it :D :D .

Have fun with the experiments. :D

John,

I liked the idea of the wall mounted unit but I don't have any free wall space in my shop. If/when I get a planer & thicknesser I will probably have to add an inteceptor dust bin of sorts to deal with the volume of shavings.

Perhaps you will let us know how it goes when you have it all set up?

Wulf

Latest posts

Back