Choices Choices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turner Tim

Reaction score
Well my old CL3 motor finally bit the dust and I'm in the market for a new lathe, as the funds won't stretch to a new motor/invertor package either from RP themselves or Haydock converters :(
A new house and soon to be workshop area means I'm really looking at a midi-lathe in the £350 - £400 range and I'm torn between the Axi AH12-18VS and the new Charnwood 824. From the pictures I've seen one's red and the other's blue with a digital readout on the headstock, Apart from this simplistic first impression, the specs seem identical and point towards a "re-badging" of the same machine :D

I mainly do smallish spindle work, the odd pen (to be fair, very odd) and the occasional bowl so I was wondering if the members of the forum would give me the benefit of the collective wisdom as to their views on either of the two lathes I've mentioned, or even have a suggestion that I've not considered?

Many thanks in advance

Tim

I previously used a Shepach dmt450 which looks almost the same as the Charnwood, just with a handwheel on the outboard side. I found it moved around alot with larger items, so worth bolting it to a solid bench (although less of a concern I guess for spindle turning).

The bed and main parts were cast iron and fairly solid, so as long as you work within the dimensions of the lathe I would recommend it. Do check the motor ratings carefully though, the one I had was rated 1/2HP BUT that was its consumed power, the actual output to the spindle was only 1/4HP and this wasnt really enough on some occasions, and the motor always ran hot it seemed.

Charnwood 824 looks the same as Record Power DML305 but with variable speed electronics. RP do sell a variable speed DML305 (DML305VS) but it has a slightly different design in the tailstock to the non-variable speed model and seems quite expensive in comparison which leads me to think there might have been other changes to the basic design.

I looked at the 824 myself when I bought my DML305 but decided on saving the 50 quid or so and just changing pulleys.

It seems that this particular model of lathe comes in so many brands, I assume they're all produced in the same factory in China or wherever and ordered in whatever colour the manufacturer asks :) Charnwoods are blue, Record Powers are green, I think I've seen the Americans showing off a Harbor-Freight branded one in red and I know for certain that Rikon sell it as a 70-100 also in blue.

The Axminster looks to be the same lathe again as the Charnwood, it's likely that the only real difference between those two are the electronics.

The Scheppach DMT450 mentioned above also seems to be commonly badge-engineered, I believe this model is a 10" swing lathe though? I think the Record Power badging is a DML-250.

I would seek out a new motor for the record. You may even get one from somebody that has upgraded to the haydock pack.

Most replacement lathes will have different spindle threads and tapers, and different tailstock tapers. You will end up spending extra on replacing centres and accessories.

If you are reasonably competent, it is perfectly possible to source a good quality 3 phase motor for well under £100 and an inverter for around £100 plus perhaps £20 for a suitable pulley and bush. Certainly worth looking into if you like the lathe.
Sorry can't put in too much detail as writing this on a mobile phone in the pub!
Duncan

minilathe22/pickledegg,
Many thanks for the comments/info guys, I guess the only big difference between the two would be the digital speed display on the W824, something which would be new to me having used the CL3 for a number of years. So, red or blue, that's the big question?? I'll take on board your comments Mini, about bolting the thing down onto a bench, also about the power output. Both the lathes are showing as being 550 watts, which works out at about 3/4hp, so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem. I e-mailed the previous club I used to be a member of and they've recently purchased 2 of the W824s and can't praise them highly enough (thanks Brian), so I think Charnwood might well have a sale (just holding out until the show at Exeter at the end of the month to see if there are any deals going)

macros/Duncan.
The option to obtain another motor and or a 3 phase version and inverter is still on the cards, but I might need to keep this under the radar in case SWMBO is reading this, I've always been told that you can't have too many lathes...... Yep, the need to replace drive centres etc had crossed my mind macros, but I am wondering about using the 2mt/1mt adaptors that are available? I understand that they might cause an issue with quickly changing fittings, but I tend to take my time over anything to do with turning, as well as batching the work where possible.

Does anyone have any views as to the merits of the adaptors?

Thanks once again

Tim

If its just for a livecentre then no torque needs to go through the morse taper, so a 1 - 2 MT adapter will work fine. However if you are using a drill chuck or drive dog with an adapter, you are effectively limited by the maximum torque of the MT1, which I have personally had issues with things spinning as soon as you apply any power. I have never had problems with MT2.

If your existing bits and pieces are all MT1, and not had issues then just get an adapter, they are very cheap.

Chronos, another of my favourite websites :D , think I might well go down that route then. If I do start getting problems, then 2mt items for the headstock will be on the Christmas list.

Thanks all

Back