Choice of wood for decorative beam ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F Flinstone

Established Member
Reaction score
In the new house we will need a non load bearing decorative wood beam, supported with two jabs either side, so two sides 2.25mt ,top beam 3.4mt, all 200x200mm Just been to my friendly timberyard and asked what is available, here in France the main woods are Oak and Chestnut "Sweet" we wanted something different, we can have Ash, Birch, Beech, Red Cedar, Poplar, Cherry and Walnut, he dosn't think Poplar we be as nice as the others, so Iam thinking Cherry or Walnut, any opinons? It will be rough sawn off the bandsaw, so I was thinking of a bit of sanding and then something to bring out the grain, they are in the entrance to the kitchen, so will get brushed against, so I dont think oils will be suitable but Iam open to ideas. Thankyou 8)

Does 'er indoors have a colour scheme? Walnut will be very dark, cherry will be warm brown (at least to start with)

it's all personal taste, what would match best with the internal decor architecture and style? I'd go with oak or chestnut myself.

Blimey. You're giving up the two best choices to pick from the also-rans...... Oak or sweet chestnut every day of the week for me.

Visually, the timber isn't as important as the details. The relationship between posts and the beam, the joints, pegs etc, and chamfers, chamfer stops, carvings etc. They're what turn an ordinary project into something a bit special.

Surprising comments, I would have though Walnut would have been the number one choice, its a new house, so all tiled floors in grey with a large rectangular area of cream tiles with a mosaic border in 1mt from edge of walls in the lounge, walls in white/magnolia, and two in pale grey, internal doors in oak but , but in a factory finished anthracite color, so all basically cream and grey. Have looked in some books and the grain of the Plane (London) looks very nice, will see if he can get it, I dont think I would want a stain but something to lift the grain, any ideas on other woods? Thankyou

walnut especially say a 4 x 4 piece will be eye wateringly expensive compared to oak, and even oak isn't cheap, london plane can be nice but I've never seen it used for a decorative beam, I can't be the only one, the ray fleck on it can be a bit distracting and overpowering for my tastes.

While in the Uk Oak and Chesnut are seen as attractive woods, here in France the are mainly used for firewood and farm stock fencing posts, hence my desire for an alternative, it was the "Ray" pattern that attracted me to the "plane" wood. Its my friend that owns the sawmill /woodyard he has just been asked to cut down a large walnut tree which is in the way of an extension, so the price should be affordable :wink: I Hope. Whats the best way of finishing what ever we use? Thanks

F Flinstone":1dggzvtc said:
While in the Uk Oak and Chesnut are seen as attractive woods, here in France the are mainly used for firewood and farm stock fencing posts.........

No, no. Look at any French building more than a few decades old and the principle timbers will all be oak or chestnut, as will much of the joinery.

MikeG.":2vo526b9 said:
F Flinstone":2vo526b9 said:
While in the Uk Oak and Chesnut are seen as attractive woods, here in France the are mainly used for firewood and farm stock fencing posts.........

No, no. Look at any French building more than a few decades old and the principle timbers will all be oak or chestnut, as will much of the joinery.

Yes Iam talking about today, :lol: a lot of the new windows are Pvc, Aluminium, softwood, and occasionally Beech, not much Oak or Chestnut, they seem to be used as engineered wood flooring more so than windows, you will in new builds, find non- structural beams in Glulam, Pine then Oak, traditional house builders may well use more Oak, but as stated mainly other uses, my new house is being built in what in the Uk we would call a "conservation area" very strict :( no need for any Oak. Yes it will be green but cut next week and stacked at the yard for fitting in November, Iam sure there will be some movement but thats the joy of timber. Leave alone and dont put anything on it, what about a light sand to take off the roughness :?:

You clearly had decided on what you were doing before you asked us, so I'm not absolutely sure why you started the thread.

F Flinstone":2tqulmg1 said:
Yes Iam talking about today, :lol: a lot of the new windows are Pvc, Aluminium, softwood, and occasionally Beech

Who the hell in their right mind would make a window or door out of beech? It's literally one of the least durable external use timbers known to man!

F Flinstone":2tqulmg1 said:
Yes it will be green but cut next week and stacked at the yard for fitting in November, Iam sure there will be some movement but thats the joy of timber.

It's the joy of timber until it starts cracking the walls from the movement, I've seen it happen more than once.

Have you come up with these ideas in your own head or has somebody filled you up with a load of boll ox? Even saying that you'd use glulam over pine for something non-structural is absolute nonsense, glulam is seriously expensive comparatively and it's only real use is something structural!

MikeG.":xl3idyty said:
You clearly had decided on what you were doing before you asked us, so I'm not absolutely sure why you started the thread.

Obviously you have misinterpreted my replies, been around forums long enough to know that this happens. I have not made my mind up, as said Cherry is a nice wood, also Plane, I asked for help from people that I understood where at the top of their game, people that have dealt with timber for many years, that can foretell any mistakes and problems I may encounter by picking one variety of timber against another. :) If you feel that way I would be grateful if you would refrain from posting and allowing those members with a genuine interest in assisting me the opportunity to post If you dont mind :wink: Just seen your post Trevanion The beams are internal so against stud walling, Beech "Hetre" is a choice of wood for windows in France, perhaps the French have a different way of manufacturing them :?: So which wood would you recommend or is it Oak or Chestnut, and why does it have to be so, no one has explained why I should pick these, surely they will move over time, the same as any wood. Ff

Trevanion":17fsp4br said:
F Flinstone":17fsp4br said:
Yes Iam talking about today, :lol: a lot of the new windows are Pvc, Aluminium, softwood, and occasionally Beech

Who the hell in their right mind would make a window or door out of beech? It's literally one of the least durable external use timbers known to man!

F Flinstone":17fsp4br said:
Yes it will be green but cut next week and stacked at the yard for fitting in November, Iam sure there will be some movement but thats the joy of timber.

It's the joy of timber until it starts cracking the walls from the movement, I've seen it happen more than once.

Have you come up with these ideas in your own head or has somebody filled you up with a load of boll ox? Even saying that you'd use glulam over pine for something non-structural is absolute nonsense, glulam is seriously expensive comparatively and it's only real use is something structural!

Getting crossed posts I didnt see your last paragraph, Again please read the post I would not personally use Glulam, if you could see it, but have seen it in a new build out here, the French are very different from the Brits, what is the comment about my ideas, :?: the types of wood available I dont follow you! Ff

F Flinstone":3sn6l2lw said:
.......... If you feel that way I would be grateful if you would refrain from posting........

Sorry, but you don't get any say in what is posted or who posts in threads on this forum.

Well perhaps not, but you should re-read my posts, and instead of criticizing, be more helpful, as an architect Iam sure you have a vast amount of knowledge and expertise for all us mere mortals to learn from, its a pity you didn't go to teacher training collage, your posts may have come over more user friendly, IMHO. Ff

Back