Choc block connectors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboffin

Reaction score
I'm going crazy, for years I've used what I call chock block connectors and I particularly like the versions with a small metal leaf that protects the wire as the screw clamps down on it. I'm looking for some 3A versions but cannot find any, so far I've tried, RS, Farnell, Ebay, Amazon, Screwfix, and Wickes. Does anybody know where I can lay my hands on some?

Hi

Musuems will be your best bet, those old screw connectors are now old hat. These days we use Wago connectors and tool less connectors because they are much more reliable and with the right enclosures are classed as maintenance free, something choc blocks could never be.

Personally I use the 222 range, really good and prefer to the 221. The 224 range are good for the lighting circuits. The 773 range are more permeant but can still be disconnected.

https://www.discount-electrical.co....o-222-series-lever-cage-clamp-terminal-blocks

Ditto for the Wago connector's they are super easy to use if like me you are having trouble with your hands, when my hands are behaving I like to take the time to tin all the wires and then use those nifty bootlace end's, No problems with frayed ends when having to undo the connection multiple times if needed , a feature i found ideal while setting up the wiring on my CNC which although not finished is slowly getting there although I still need to get my head around CAD & CAM o_O .

If you are still looking, have a look for Phoenix terminal strips here is a link to the PCB type so you might find what you want here. by a bit of research.

Attachments

• terminal strip.pdf
    119.7 KB · Views: 21
Wago type connecters are great but it took me a while to realise that what looks like a double choc block connecter is in fact a single terminal with two connections,,maybe there are different types and brands but all the ones Ive picked up are like this,

Wago type connecters are great but it took me a while to realise that what looks like a double choc block connecter is in fact a single terminal with two connections,,maybe there are different types and brands but all the ones Ive picked up are like this,

WAGO don't make a pass through type connector like a choc block, but there are chinese WAGO copies that do which is really weird.

WAGO don't make a pass through type connector like a choc block, but there are chinese WAGO copies that do which is really weird.
Perhaps thats it, my Wago connecters come from the bottom of my grandson's toolbag, he gives me a mixed jar of odd and ends and thats where my little collection of Wagos came from.

Agree with everyone about the genius of the Wago connectors. Brilliant.
Maybe the lighting connectors they do might suit your low amp requirements better than the 221/ 222 style.

Ollie

This is more like the connector you have used? but bigger. If you follow the link to the Weidmuller catalogue, there are other sizes.

Attachments

• choc block.pdf
    216.1 KB · Views: 17
As others have said... Move into the future and get some Wagos 👍

On really thin stuff then solder/ heat shrink.

I'm going crazy, for years I've used what I call chock block connectors and I particularly like the versions with a small metal leaf that protects the wire as the screw clamps down on it. I'm looking for some 3A versions but cannot find any, so far I've tried, RS, Farnell, Ebay, Amazon, Screwfix, and Wickes. Does anybody know where I can lay my hands on some?
Many thanks for all your suggestions and especially for introducing me to Wago connectors which I shall certainly be using for some projects. My work is mostly instrumentation and especially in the development/prototype stage i.e. before committing to a pcb I often need to 'lash up' a connection for a set of low level signals, a temporary test lead for example. Having explained the application I hope the usefulness of a simple connector strip is more understood.
And finally success, on closer inspection I discovered that indeed RS and Farnell / CPC all offer wire protected connector strips it is just not very obvious searching online. I've now discovered that RS have quite a good online catalogue called the rspro-catalogue which is similar to the old paper version, Farnel /CPC both have virtual catalogues but not very up to date and the connectors I've now ordered from them do not appear in the virtual catalogues. The manufacturers of connector strips with wire protection that I've found are RS-pro (their own brand), Metway and Camden Boss. The last two from both Farnell and CPC. Hope that helps somebody and once again thanks for all the suggestions.

Back