CHKDSK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
for some reason my computer has decided to run chkdsk on bootup every time it starts and its a pain, i am running xp on a MESH computer, does anyone know how to stop this happening..

I assume it is disk C: that this is happening to

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query c:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk c: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

ok, i did all you said and it came back with:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, would you like to shedule this volume to be checked next time the system starts (Y/N) i ticked NO..

ps. it said the it was dirty BTW..

Steve, have you got a recent Back-up of any important files ?

Worst case scenario is that your hard disk is having problems causing corrupt files.
Certainly if you let CHKDSK run its course and it repeats, it may indicate that faults are occurring on a regular basis.

right then ticked yes and away it went, it found a corrupt file and at the end of its search it began to recover an orphaned file, i let the screen with a gazillion files on whooshed through and kept going for a full 20 mins and was still going, by this time i wasn't sure if it was correct so i stopped it.
How long should it take to recover the file??

It can take a while, best to let it run overnight and go to sleep. Should be fine in the morning. Make backups of any important files first but be aware that they may be suspect as your drive is showing signs of corruption, so until verified everything is suspect.

BINGO, it runs like it should now, thank you very much indeed, now i can get on with what i was doing before, once again a million thanks.

steve

Back