Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt wrote:
... the marples chiselsi currently use are useless, to the extent where the edge has gone dull within a few light hits with the hammer ... i really want a set of chisels who's edges will last well, and also ones that come fairly flat. the marples took what seems like forever to get flat.
alot of the time the chisels will be used with a hammer, so the handles will need to be upto that.

Matt, the simple answer may be to just increase the bevel angle of your Marples chisels. Cheap fix!

A chisel whose edge will last forever, eh? Well I'm sure you could get something made in M2 steel, but you will have a lot of fun sharpening them :p

Everything is a compromise. A hard steel holds an edge but is tough to hone. A moderate steel hold an edge for a moderate/reasonable period of time but is easier to hone.

Like MikeW, I keep a set of Stanley 60's for rough work (actually, they were the first chisels I bought). Alternately, I have several vintage framing chisels (Mathiesons, Ibbotsons, amongst others). Of the vintage chisels I own, the Witherbys have the toughest steel, but I do not think that you would want these for a building site!

Alf wrote:
I've always believed the rule of thumb was:
Handles with metal hoops - hit 'em wiv' an 'ammer if you like
Bench chisels/firmers/butt etc - mallet, round or square as preferred
Paring chisels - thou shalt not hit them on pain of pain
Plastic handled site chisels - do what you jolly well like 'cos nothing's gonna make 'em worse.

I agree with the above.

I keep a set of paring chisels (Bergs) with 20 degree bevels. These cut through timber with hand pressure owing to the low bevel angle, but are better suited to softwoods since the edge is more fragile at this angle.

My bench chisels (the Witherbys) are bevelled at 25 degrees. I can push or tap (not hit) these with a wooden mallet.

The Japanese bench chisels and dovetail chisels are reserved for hardwood. All are bevelled at 30 degrees and are designed to be hit with a metal hammer.

I did note that Craftman Studio are selling a "special" set of Two Cherries chisels at a discount price. These are not polished and, therefore, cheaper. Funny that - the polished versions have to be flattened because the polishing process rounds the backs. I would pay extra to get the unpolished version, and here they are selling them cheaper!

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L!5001501.htm

But I would try the Marples with a 30-35 degree bevel first.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, i can fully appreciate that everything is a compromise, and no edge will last forever, but when an edge is only lasting for 4 hinges, and 2 catches, then it isnt doing its job,
and with having to sharpen chisels very frequently, then im not achieving any work, when i could be.
i will increase the bevel of the chisels ang go fromthere, thanks for the info all

I found my old oilstone last week and my chisels are sharper than they have been for a long time , maybe diamonds don't last forever :lol:
Or maybe its the way we are taught , anyway im back on the oilstone now , maybe try that .

I'm with Mike. The Stanley #60 is a great carpenter's chisel. My set is about 25 years old, I don't know what recent ones are like. Mine get pounded with a heavy framing hammer and hold up well. These are the only chisels I hit with a hammer.

trevtheturner":fx32leic said:
I often read references to hammering chisels. Is this just a commonly used general term or do some people actually strike chisel handles with a hammer?Cheers,

Trev.

I strike the japanese chisels using a japanese steel hammer. The ring on the end of the handle stops splitting. One can really belt these and remove quite large chunks of tough wood

I only ever strike the AIs or Two-Cherries using a carvers mallet- and I only tap them. Mostly, I use the AIs without mallet and pare with them

Tony,

As I note that you have both the Two Cherries and The Ashley Isles chisels, perhaps you would be so kind as to help me with my current dilemma?

I have reached the stage where I am totally frustrated with my current set of cheapo chisels (I spend more time sharpening than chiseling), and am looking to buy a new set. I am torn between the Two Cherries and the AI. Are the AI's worth the extra money in your opinion?

Cheers,

Gary
PS - Everyone else please feel free to add your comments as well.

Edited for spelling mistake

Taffy Turner":20fnuu39 said:
I am torn between the Two Cherries and the AI. Are the AI's worth the extra money in your opinion?

Can't fully comment as only have one half of your choices. However I've never yet felt I've been limited by the two cherries, and they seem to stay sharp. The finish on the handles is a bit rubbish, but if I'm honest, I really don't use them *that* often.

I do have a second set of nice old chisels with box handles but oddly I nearly always turn to the Two Cherries.

Heres me giving them some abuse!

medium.jpg

Adam

Back