chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a good set of chisels that will stand the test of use and time , what are the best makes and what are the affordable alternatives , thanks alot .

Depends, what are you planning on using them for.

You can get:
-Standard Bevel Edge Chisels
- Fine, Cabinet making ones (Kirchen, Robert Sorby)
- japanese chisels

To name a few...

If its standard bevel edged chisels i like marples i've had mine for nearly 20 years

Pualc,

I agree with A.P. A set of Marples will do you okay for general use - but don't look in the Axminster catalogue or you might get confused!

Trevtheturner.

Thats what happened to me :shock: :? :!: :!: :!:

Yes I would agree on the marples bit, if you want some good quality, general use chisels, that will last a while, stand up to a few - and work well on site aswell as in the workshop - they should be prefect!

If you plan to do alot of *fine joinery* then you might want to look at a set of cabinet makers, or even japanese chisels, which can be very accurate, and be sharpened to a high degree, holding the sharp edge.

Hi Paul

Don't forget that you'll need something to sharpen/hone your chisels, too. More expense :) !

Yours

Gill

I've got some Robert Sorby bevel edge chisels, they are very nice and I hope will last a long time.

Gill's right about sharpening. You can buy the most expensive chisels on the market but you still need a good method of getting (and keeping) them sharp. My <gloat>Tormek machine</gloat> can even make my cheapie record chisels perform excellent :)

There was a good review of chisels in the Sept(?) edition of Furniture and Cabinet making magazine with the Kirschen (Two Cheries) chisels coming out on top. They are available from Axminster for around £56 for the set of six - with grduated wooden handles and polished backs to the blades I reckon thats good value!.

They followed this up in the next edition with a further article on what constitutes good blades etc - very useful stuff!.

(Im not connected with Kirschen or Axminster BTW).

Regards MMD.

Latest posts

Back