Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
I got these chisels amongst a load of tools I recently bought. Are they for woodworking or masonry/stone? A couple of them have Marples brand on them and the previous owner was a carpenter which made me wonder which these are.

There were some other interesting tools in the collection so I may have more questions! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_113843.jpg
    IMG_20211118_113843.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 68
I got these chisels amongst a load of tools I recently bought. Are they for woodworking or masonry/stone? A couple of them have Marples brand on them and the previous owner was a carpenter which made me wonder which these are.

There were some other interesting tools in the collection so I may have more questions! ;)
Are they glaziers tools for cutting out old putty

are you a naval man Derek?... no I'm more a leg man..
more interesting is what moulding planes would be in a naval carpenter tool chest?

Never heard the term naval carpenter. There were ships carpenters, shipwrights or boat builders. Often the terms overlapped. All of them would have used caulking irons and a mallet. The ships carpenters/shiprights I sailed with were fine craftsmen and most had a nice tool collection but they were much more than carpenters. The rank was equal to the bosun. They would have fixed anything wood on board but were also responsible for seeing that the hull and cargo holds were watertight. The ships fresh water supply. Any cargo items that had to be secured with dunnage (wood) to prevent it moving around. An old style cargo ship would have used quite a few truck loads of dunnage to stow some cargoes. Sadley progress swept them aside. Be hard pressed to find any wood on a modern ship today.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back