Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numpty1

Reaction score
Have great machine Work sharp WS 2000 single bevel 25deg, brilliant, now that and it seems the WS 3000 multi bevel sharpener have been discontinued and grinding adhesive discs are hard to get and expensive. Hoever to hand sharpen on fine diamond plate 32° bevel I cand get bur but continuing for "scary" sharp edge on 3000 carbon wet and dry for 15 minutes i don't get a bur. Would that mean its sharpas it gets? Yes the back is flat there STANLEY and notice they don't get such good reviews now.
Perhaps I shoul find a bootsale buy older chisel the steel is better.Can't afford or justify expensive a torvek.

It may not be forming a burr.

Do you mean silicon carbide (black or gray) carborundum paper? silicon carbide and diamond are definitely less of a burr organizer because they cut deep narrow grooves (when the abrasive is coarse, though, or focused on a small area, they'll still create one).

It would probably be easier just to go from the grind to the 3000 carbon at 32 and ignore the diamond hone. (or do 25 grind, 25 on the 3000 carborundum and buff the tip of a chisel instead of putting any steeper bevel on it). The former is just fine, though. No need to do multi-steps with a microbevel. It's more work without giving better results - when the secondary bevel gets slow to refresh with the 3000, then refresh the primary grind.

As far as edge strength goes, a microbevel (unless you're abusing something) only needs to be a half a hundredth or a hundredth to stop the easy initial edge failure. Keeping it small will yield better results because it skews the odds of the finest polish getting all the way to the edge.

It might help to use the forum search function.
You may find some answers in the numerous sharpening
threads there.
HTH

Back