Chisels - I could quit if I wanted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have made my comment in a way that unintentionally misleads - they look like the same make to me, handles and all. The glazing on the second one is easy to see because of the light and it's very clean, but I'd bet they're all similar quality, even if any are a different make.

They are just dandy - it takes care and costs money to finish a steel that warps that straight and cleanly.
Probably my fault - perhaps I should have said, they all bear the same owners stamp and they are all by Moulson Bros.

Probably my fault - perhaps I should have said, they all bear the same owners stamp and they are all by Moulson Bros.

Since I make mediocre chisels like below, I feel like they are speaking to me. I wonder if I can teleport them from you when you're not looking.

Tools by the early 1800s were made to a finish level that I can match pretty easily most of the time, but the finish on those gouges is so wonderful that maybe I could match it, but it would be a separate task on its own.

Since I make mediocre chisels like below, I feel like they are speaking to me. I wonder if I can teleport them from you when you're not looking.

Tools by the early 1800s were made to a finish level that I can match pretty easily most of the time, but the finish on those gouges is so wonderful that maybe I could match it, but it would be a separate task on its own.

they're talking to me and don't want to be described as mediocre
look pretty fine from here,
even if the Moulsons have it by a whisker

David, you could easily make your mark as a boutique chiselsmith! The bolster on yours just speaks to all the care and time spent in making them.

With fewer demands on spare time, it would be an interesting thing to take a shot at and would be a good excuse to get better and more efficient, but it would crowd out making other things and maybe expose my (in)ability to do more than one job at a time!!

My friend, those chisels of yours look absolutely gorgeous!

Oh no, Paul Sellers.

They are Best Improved Round London Pattern.

And here's my take on why those handles look like they do.......

You can hold onto the bulb and put your shoulder against the end and use the force of your upper body to pare downwards. It's also why they are sooooo loooong.

It makes your shoulder look like chopped liver for a while, but you'll get used to it.

Not a Paul fan?

@Kaizen123 He's a hot topic in this parish and mentioning his name can cause a bit of disruption.

I think I've watched one of his videos, but he doesn't float my boat. He does have quite a large following, so he's doing something right.

I'm not a great viewer of youtube content anyway and if I do look there I look for information on very specific topics, which he doesn't provide.

Similar discussions on US forums of other “content providers”. Some I like, most I don’t watch.

As far as Mr. Sellers goes, I have one of his books, and some DVDs my wife bought me long ago. I admire his woodworking skills, but can’t say the same about his video presentation.

Back to David’s chisels, particularly the style, to me this represents the highest style of our profession and hobby. Many can make “boutique” tools but most mimic the high production methods. David goes after style and methods of the best tang style chisels of days passed.

@Kaizen123 He's a hot topic in this parish and mentioning his name can cause a bit of disruption.

I think I've watched one of his videos, but he doesn't float my boat. He does have quite a large following, so he's doing something right.

I'm not a great viewer of youtube content anyway and if I do look there I look for information on very specific topics, which he doesn't provide.
Ah I see. Well I'm totally untrained in woodwork so I need all the help I can get! Hense why I'm here. I'm learning a lot from YouTube to be honest. Didn't know how to sharpen a chisel or use a hand plane so it's been a little university for me in my shed. Just trying to learn to dovetail now.... Am I jumping a bit ahead you think?

We don't float each others' boat, but I would literally buy you a paul sellers T shirt, maybe even have one made (like face full size front and back - and shiny graphic quality), if you would agree to wear it among accomplished workers who generally have strong reactions to anything. And wear a go pro - I don't think you could stream real time due to the strong language.