Chisels--getting into woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
! am about to buy a decent new set of bevel edge chisels. My budget is under £100. Would you pay more for a 'name' brand?
My questions are:
a) Wood v Plastic Handles--There seems to be different types of plastic handles--wood handles for better grip / feel?
b) Anybody tried Irwin/Marples chisels?
c) Anybody tried Narex chisels?
d) Other decent make of chisel?
e) What to look for in blade hardness?
Look forward to your knowledge. Many thanks.

Mikegtr":23of3xlp said:
......b) Anybody tried Irwin/Marples chisels?.........

Yep, they're great. No reason to buy anything else, or to buy them new. Or get a set of plastic handled Stanleys. They're all over Ebay and they're cheap. Start with 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1", and add to as and when necessary. No matter what you buy, sharpening them is the key to successful use, so get your sharpening kit together and get your regime worked out and practised.

I agree with the Stanley choice, better than marples not because of the steel but the shape is better, they have a finer bevel edge on their sides.

it depends on your preferences,

if you want a nice chisel set something like this would be good:

https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangshe ... l-set.html

I really like the socket handled bevel edge for 'fine' work,

narex make some decent chisels as well but the cabinet makers set handles are way too clunky for my taste, I ended up re-shaping all of the handles using a spokeshave into more of an octaganal shape which isn't that hard to do and makes a big difference, the narex set are my daily users.

I really want a lie neilsen socket chisel set at some point because they are just incredible, I have a 3/8" single chisel and it's definitely the best one I own, perfect shape and size with harder wearing A2 steel.

I have the Narex 6 piece set. The steel holds an edge well, the backs were pretty flat on arrival, so bringing them to usable was easy. They are a little handle heavy would be my only negative.

Just depends if you want new or second hand.

Fitz.

What have you now?
I wouldn't be too hung up on getting fancy ones if you have some suitable ones already.
Fancy ones might encourage you to be frugal with the steel and discourage freehand.
Better in my opinion to have something cheap that you can learn on.
Nothing teaches you how to hone like correcting your mistakes, and the more frequent you sharpen then the better you get at sharpening all tools.

Tom

Older Marples made in Sheffield are good, but avoid the new ones that are made in India, they get bad reviews. If you are solely using them in the workshop wooden handles are nice, but if for general use in and out of the workshop plastic handles can be struck with a hammer and are virtually indestructible

I have a set of the Red/Yellow Irwin Marples. Had them for about 10 years and I'm just starting to outgrow them now. Thoroughly recommend as a starter set.

Chris

Ax 'Rider' chisels are made by Narex, with much better oiled Horbeam handles and a stainless steel ferule. No affiliation of any sort, but they are really excellent chisels - Rob

Back