Chisels, Carving Chisels, Sharpening Stones and Scrapers....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WiZeR":kie3838c said:
so would i only need slipstones? If so, which ones in the arkansas range?
Here ya go; Lief knows his stuff.

Matt, could be the ultra fine is, erm, fine. #-o I never got to the stage of trying that one. Apart from the flatness issue, they're good stones. About as slow as oilstones IIRC, but more forgiving in what lubricant you use. Tell us how you find it, and I reckon if it isn't flat, you're entitiled to send it back. I was a neophyte when I had mine, so didn't think to check until Too Late. :(

Cheers, Alf

wow, its a whole new, very confusing, expensive, world.

Just another supplier to add to the mix:

Tiranti http://www.tiranti.co.uk (I really must work out that clever link stuff...)

They have Akansas Stones at reasonable prices. Ant in support of mine and others ealier sugestions for gouges, the link Alf supplied shows Lief sharpening Pfeil and Ashley Isles gouges!

Les

:D

100_0300.JPG

8)

Ended up with:

The Set of Kirschens
The Waterstone Kit
The Veritas Scrapers
1 x Pfeil 12mm #5 Straight Gouge
1 x Pfeil 15mm #9 Straight Gouge
1 x Arkansas Knife-Shaped Slipstone, white
Some wood blanks: Olive & Linden/Basswood

This was all a very belated birthday present from my Dad. Really like the Kirschens, hadn't realised I've been using them at my evening class for 2yrs! Today I am going to do a bit of research into waterstone teqhnique. I would have expected at least some basic instructions with a 'kit'. But the internet is my friend (i hope). Need to work out how to use the Arkansas stone also. Realised after they were delivered that the 15mm #9 should have been curved not straight! See how I get on with the straight one.

I have some carving questions to ask, but i'll start a new thread on that when I have thought about it more.

More pics here

Well I thought I would steal the gloater's thunder 8)

Yippee! Now we just have to wait for Axminster to get 'em in. Same price as polished though.

And, courtesy of google, a very rough translation:

Why polished execution?
As well known come cherry lifting iron in polished execution. The polishing procedure leads to a high gloss execution of the steel surface, whereby apart from a good appearance also a smaller friction is produced with the work in the wood. The disadvantage of this procedure is however that at the edges always a small roundness takes place. In particular the mirror side is then no longer even completely. Over the meaning of an even mirror side you can reread here. For all, which estimate it to be able to work highly precise there is this sentence with only more polished and now not polished surface!

BugBear

Good prices too.

I first saw these at tools for working wood:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merc ... y_Code=TMT

(special offer, 4 chisels for 90 USD)

Dieter has 6 chisels for 76 euros.

By cooincidence, both prices are around 52 quid, so Dieter has a 6 for the price of 4 offer going!

For once we Europeans get European tools cheaper than Americans, which makes a change ;-)

BugBear

Alf":365p8pqb said:
Matt, could be the ultra fine is, erm, fine. #-o I never got to the stage of trying that one. Apart from the flatness issue, they're good stones.
Cheers, Alf
I was using the spyderco ultra fine for a while. I tried to flatten it once with my diamond stones, and that was truly an exercise in futility. I used to like the ceramic stones a lot, but have been trying out some waterstones lately with good success. I use my diamond stones to flatten the waterstones frequently, but it takes no time at all to do, and you get a fresh batch of new material for cutting. I had been using diamond/ceramic combo, and have almost convinced myself that waterstones can handle it all. The only problem I have had so far is when I get to the 4000x-8000x the steel really starts to grip the stone. Its particularly difficult when flattening a plane blade with a large surface area.

Back