Chisels are sharp, flesh is weak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
or, On the Inappropriate Use of a Chisel

Really, it wasn't the chisel's fault.

I have a bench that is showing its age. Over time, over tightening things in the front vice (and probably a bad installation many years ago) has taken its toll on the mounting bolts and it's gotten a bit loose. The panel I was paring was held vertically, with the portion being pared at a down cut. I didn't think much about it, really. It was a portion that was a notch and as such the horizontal portion of the notch should have stopped the chisel.

And it would have stopped the chisel, had the piece been held firmly in the vice. As it was the piece pivoted in the vice and the chisel, being held with two hands on the handle, glanced off the wood and slid down the work piece with such speed that I wouldn't have even known what happened if I hadn't seen it.

The sharpness of the chisel made a cut about 1/4" deep (just about to the muscle) and about 2" long. Appropriate for a 38 mm chisel. I didn't feel a thing. Still doesn't much if I don't twist wrong. We figure (had I gone to the doctor) there would be a few internal and about 8-12 external stitches.

So this morning during my first cup of coffee, I went out into the shop, finished the cut, installed the piece, and decided that was enough for the day. Did some product testing, a bit of quoteing and a lot of reading. A relaxing day all things considered.

Sort of made the customer mad when I informed them the piece wouldn't be delivered as requested. I figure other than some light duty work and a 1-day seminar I'm teaching this weekend (veneering) I'm going to just read and write. I'll worry about money next week.

Yikes, Mike, that sounds nasty. :shock: Sure you shouldn't have gone to the medico? :-k Hope you heal soon, and a relaxing day seems more than justified.

Cheers, Alf

Yeow!! :shock: Jeez-hope you heal up quick!
Make sure you get it seen to proper, Mike. :?
So tell us, which method of sharpening do you use?? O:)
Get well soon,
Philly :D

Hope you recover quickly Mike. Nice that the customer was so understanding :roll:

Cheers

Tim

Thank you all for your thoughts.

It'll heal just fine. But mainly I hate doctors. I've had, let's say, bad experiences before.

Seeing how it was such a clean cut presents the only issue as regards healing. Cleaning it was just a matter of scrubing. When I look at it this morning I'll decide whether to get stitches or not.

And Philly, that would be those pesky, messy water/ceramic stones... :lol:

Mike

jonny boy":1p0no6og said:
HI,

Good job you diddn't get any of the red stuff on the work Mike. Can be a nightmare to remove!
cheers,
jonny.
Didn't even really get any on my shirt for that matter.

Oh well. Gives me time to get caught up on paper work and quotes.

Back