Chiselable wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Charlesworth uses sycamore in his planing demonstrations (I believe) because it is such an easy wood to work with. It's difficult to think of a better behaved wood for chiselling than sycamore. I don't know how easy it is to work birch in comparison, but it's unlikely to be any easier.

Would it be possible for you to take a photo of your work and post it so that we can help you out? It's much easier to offer advice when we can see what the problem is.

Gill

I would if I could(I do wnat to) but it means sourcing a digital camera with appropriate leads to connect to a pc then how do I get it onto the forum.

Im still living in caveman times sadly.

If I can at some point I will,even if it means just sshowing the finished product(in a few years time when its completed)

Not all that easy to answer really.
As a woodturner, I would consider that birch is softer than sycamore, but the sycamore would work better.
The trouble with birch is that it tends to start rotting before you've even finished chainsawing the tree down :-k

Give me sycamore every time

Hi Tim

I thought of suggesting lime (basswood, for our 'Murrican friends :) ) but although it's easier to work, I find it doesn't cut so cleanly as sycamore.

Gill

Latest posts

Back