Chisel Type Use Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up this super little LP boxwood chisel last week, and its turned out to be really lovely underneath all the dust grime.

Couple questions now come to mind. It’s got no makers mark, only a “warranted“ stamp, unless there is one under the handle.

Its blade resembles a mortice, however has a slight taper/bevel edge along the blade, hopefully the pic will make this clear.

At only 3/16”, it resemble a mortice, but it to delicate for that type of task, so was it intended for wood carving?

Given the boxwood handle, I assume it would have been at a premium, any ideas on possible age and maker?
5D384166-52D3-4615-BD1D-83B881D09225.jpeg
9FAC04BC-0B95-4547-B7F5-A9A60A4432E7.jpeg
2D12C007-EA66-4993-A334-09F32052D334.jpeg

it's a cabinetmaker's chisel. It's tall because it can't be wide and if it weren't tall, it would be far too flimsy Somewhere around 1/4th inch or a little south of that (depending in the length of the chisel) ,chisels start to get taller to give rigidity despite the lack of width.

If it were a mortise chisel, the taper on the sides would be a lot less .

Chisels like that were used in fine joinery tasks.

You don't see many carving chisels with handles like that and early ones had slender, smooth boxwood handles. It looks like the handle is a homemade one.

Edit: Didn't see the LP in your post , sorry.

Last edited:
DW, Adam, thanks for the info, appreciate your knowledge.
Now it’s all cleaned up, it’s probably a keeper, not sure how much use it’ll get though. It puts some of my my modern nylon handled Marples chisels to shame in the rack, they may even get up and walk in protest!

AdrianUK, I use a chisel similar to yours to pear the little bits in the cavities when making hand planes. For fitting the plane irons... it is quite valuable. Mine is 1/8".

Thanks gmercer, your point is well made, Its one of those tools that if I let it go, sure as hell within short while I’d be cursing not having it to hand.
I didn’t give much thought to its value, good to hear it is desirable though.

Latest posts

Back