Chisel tang repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triker64

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi is this chisel worth repairing? It was brought in the 1970s and been abused
20210107_154222.jpg

The tang end is relatively soft, so it should be possible to dress off the mushrooming, hammer the tang straight (or file it straight) and fit a new handle.

Whether that's worth the bother is a matter for the individual. I think I would - there's plenty of useful length left on the business end.

It was a good chisel, used to be used to dress oak engine bears in the boatyard when I worked on boats.

I don't know if you have access to heat and a hammerable surface, but I'd put a glove on and heat just the bent tip and hammer it back out. You can do the same without heat and just hammer it flat and use it - there's enough there for a handle fitted well and used with a ferrule.

It's been a while since I hammered the first bit of heated metal, so I don't know if it's unreasonble to expect that someone could do it without just making it into spaghetti or a plant hook shape.

Been abused for sure. A handle would have prevented that.
As Cheshirechappie said clean up the end, hammer it strait and get a new handle on it. No need for heat unless you have had some experience with it and feel the need. I have rehandled worse than that. Worth doing as long as the back near the sharp end is not too badly pitted.
Regards
John

I offer two ways:
First, just grind the end into a symmetric shape and fit into the handle.
Second, heat the tang and hammer into shape. The ideal temp is cherry red to dark orange, and heat the metal up again as soon as it goes dull red. To reduce the chance of changing the temper of the body, when I do work like this, I wrap a wet cotton rag around the body side of the bolster

you should be able to re shape a new tang, it could be worthwhile if the steel is good.

The get hot and hammer approach will also require an anvil of some sort.
filing/grinding off the mushroom then fitting to a handle would be more straight forward.

Latest posts

Back