Chisel storage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hay guys
Looking for some cool links, pics or just general info on some idea's on how to store chisels. I'm thinking i want to be able to put some sort of rack on the wall to hold them. I also want to be able to take the rack off the wall and use it on site etc.
I have my own idea's but bit of inspiration from old hands would be good.
Cheers for taking the time.
Matt

what about a magblok, held to the wall with stronger magnets?

Or howabout ....

995.jpg

:-"

Mine are like this

DSCF2924.jpg

Simple wooden shelf with holes drilled in it - Simples

Oh and before you ask the Markies are for the dogs on the farm!

These are my bench chisels, stored slightly studleyesk with the oire nomi to the front and the longer chisels to the back, this lot always stay in the workshop.

My site chisels are my old stanleys/marples which are stored in a leather chisel roll

DCP_2237.jpg

DCP_2238.jpg

DCP_2239.jpg

This is a pretty old pic:

small3-1.jpg

...of my chisels and gouges from a couple of years ago, but the current stuff is still stored in the same way. It's basically the same as Rog's but with two important differences, firstly there's a piece of clear, thin plastic in front which extends well below the cutting edges and secondly, nothing is stored underneath them, the point being that if you reach for something underneath a razor sharp, unguarded blade and then draw your hand back towards yourself :shock: ...Storing chisels this way means that there is absolutely no chance that you'll cut yourself reaching for something other than a chisel (and I did it several times before I stored them this way :oops: ) - Rob

I seem to have acquired a few score more chisels since this photo....

DSC_0169.JPG

...and a whole workshop refurbishment is planned for this summer but this idea of placing rare earth magnets into holes in some softwood and then putting some nice veneer over the top worked really well. The tools magically stick to wood...

This can be expanded to a box that lifts off the wall and you can take to site. These magnets available on FleaBay make the tool stick like poo to a blanket!

Jim

Monday last week a neighbour retiring from the workshop gave me this.

2012_0109chiselholder0002w.jpg

I cut the top off (where marked with x's) and made compartments so that chisels would not rattle together in holder and then top reglued in position.
Cross leg type supports are tobe added and then the holder will be used when my chisels in use are taken from their supplied storeage box and placed in above container to avoid laying around on bench.

Attachments

• 2012_0109chiselholder0002w.jpg
    2012_0109chiselholder0002w.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,526
Wicked defiantly some food for thought, I like the magnets but was thinking i wanted to make it a bit more of a project just to practice. Katellwood, my how many chisels you have lol. far to many for my liking you should give me some lol. Woodbloke defiantly see your point and sounds like something i would do and will take note thanks.Richard T, i was thinking of a small project that looks to be quite an undertaking. Devonwoody thats more along the lines of what i was thinking but then be able to hand it up. Dodge, I like it and it looks neat and effective. As ever you guys are awesome, defiantly feeling the inspiration. Thanks a lot. Matt

I suggested that triptych case half seriously - 116 chisels of any flavour might be a lot, but I have been very tempted to make a smaller one for my growing bunch.

Matt said he wanted suggestions for a rack that was also portable. This certainly ticks both boxes. Would be a nice project too.

Back