Chisel slip! Help with repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
Took too thick of a bite of this dovetail, should I glue a repair slip on there now, or fit and repair with sawdust & glue later? It’s probably 2mm wide at the end

f38bc0d8358a23d38f54182f34712f15.jpg

490066d02a4ac78c66bfa94ab0c0808d.jpg
8e1199a484ad60d4d1ac279d2ad35b82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by my experience with the difficulty of colour matching sawdust/glue repairs I would think best bet would be a slip of the wood glued in the same orientation and dovetail reworked before assembly.

CHJ":3k3x22ru said:
Judging by my experience with the difficulty of colour matching sawdust/glue repairs I would think best bet would be a slip of the wood glued in the same orientation and dovetail reworked before assembly.
Yep, if you do as Chas suggests and match up the end grain the 'fix' will be invisible - Rob

CHJ":19b3rxar said:
Same here. When I've ever tried it it sticks out like a small thumb. I've had better results using a 2pack hard filler. That must make me sound like I do alot of bodging [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I dropped the other bit in a sea of shavings unfortunately. Thanks I will try the slip now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a splice as small as that it can often be better to cut back a larger amount and splice in something bigger.

Why not remove the entire top of the dovetail, 2mm thick and back to the shoulder and then splice another piece on and re fettle. It will have no effect on the strength but look much better. Your only join line will be along the thinnest edge and running in line with the shoulder

It's the tail board, so you've done this first, presumably, and there isn't a mating pin board yet. Why not just re-shape the tails?

LBCarpentry":2h5vrbd0 said:
With a splice as small as that it can often be better to cut back a larger amount and splice in something bigger.
Yes I can see this working well. I tried a small splice but the chisel just knocked it out. Many thanks for all the tips guys

Latest posts

Back