Chisel sharpening on a budget...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamoF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm almost ready to start turning but just need a sharpening system. I've read loads of info and absolutely cannot afford any of the Sorby/Tormek systems, I'm thinking just a bench grinder with a white wheel and a jig.

Specifically this one:

https://www.charnwood.net/products/...one-40mm-white-stone-bg6/category_pathway-306
Is there anything obviously bad about this grinder with a sharpening jig?

Thanks in advance

D

Last edited:
Not that I can see. Probably too new to determine the long term build quality.
As long as it runs without vibration it should be fine. If it walks across the table when you turn it on, get it replaced.

Should be fine - if you want a more refined edge on a turning tool, you can just use a stone to chase the edge left by the grinder (on skews, etc).

Think I would save up for a unit with more power 250 Watts is very small , Just my opinion other will say different

250 isn't much for grinding and shaping, but enough to grind anything in turning tools/chisels/plane blades.

Thanks guys, I did notice the low wattage. It's solely for woodturning tools and I use Japanese stones to get a polished razor edge on my plane blades and other chisels. I have just noticed the fine stone isn't that fine, however. They do an 8" one with a 100 grit white stone which I think I'll go for instead. Thanks again guys, you've helped me loads since I've joined this forum :)

Damo

8" inch is always best...
build urself a copyish of the Sorby unit.....it's a redic price....for what it is...
their chisels are superb tho....
thas what I'm going to do....

Highly effective and cheapest is a sanding disc on your outboard end. Various options available such as ply disc with velcro backing pad etc.

If you get into turning, you are likely to want a CBN wheel and a 250 Watt bench grinder will not do the job.

I ended up buying the Axminster 900Watt grinder to run the CBN wheel, although I did put a wire wheel and a metal buffing wheel on the old grinder, so it still serves a purpose.

If you can manage the cost, I'd definitely go for a more powerful grinder.

Hi guys, I'm almost ready to start turning but just need a sharpening system. I've read loads of info and absolutely cannot afford any of the Sorby/Tormek systems, I'm thinking just a bench grinder with a white wheel and a jug.

Specifically this one:

https://www.charnwood.net/products/...one-40mm-white-stone-bg6/category_pathway-306

Thanks in advance

D
Most professionals advise an 8” diameter white wheel but I’ve always managed on a 6”. You can turn perfectly well straight from the stone without using a wet stone or oil stone or spending hours of your life you can’t get back but it’s a matter of choice. If you can manage to buy HSS tools the edge will last longer depending on the wood you are turning but I used to use an ordinary angle skew for loads of turning with good surface results.

Thanks in advance

D

Obvious thing would be it's Charnwood. I'd go with almost any and every other brand before I'd buy again from(no)charm-wood and at that price point I'd be looking to see what Record Power or Axminster have to offer

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I could probably upgrade to a cbn wheel at a later date but I think it's off the table for now as they're quite pricey!

Hmm, so charnwood ain't so good, how about this wee chap? :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-sm200al-200mm-electric-double-end-bench-grinder-230-240v/163fg
I'm not going to be turning every day. Far from it, it will just be used occasionally for table legs, chair legs, the odd lamp or turning whim so the grinder won't see a huge amount of use. I'm keeping my eyes open for something second hand but it's hard to get a deal on ebay cos they're expensive new so loads of folk are after a used one...

The OP is looking at a solution that already comes with white wheels for 80 pounds. Much of the response is pointing toward things 4 to 8 times as expensive.

As far as spinning a CBN wheel, I've got three grinders. One is about 390 watts, and the other two are 1320. All were expensive (but wouldn't have to be). I started with a 2.2 amp (US) grinder, which with my supply is 265 watts. It would've spun the 6" CBN wheel, but I don't sharpen large turning tools with the CBN wheel - it's to slow. I sharpen them on a very coarse wheel and hand hone the tips.

Once you get to grinders in the kilowatt range, care needs to be taken - a grinder catch with all of that momentum (motor weight attached to the arbor) and continued drive could be a giant mess. The speed that my two bigger grinders (8") spin up is almost alarming.

I've had one catch (actual experience) with a 6" grinder - nothing broke but the tool that got caught, but it was alarming and that was with the 6" grinder mentioned above.

As you all know, I run a medieval re-enactment group. Our pole lathe turner, for speed, uses a 250w Aldi grinder, off a 12-240v inverter. It's that quiet, he can use it inside a tent and not hear it from 10ft away. As he is turning greenwood, He sharpens, little and often

Back