Chisel sharpening grind wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need to buy a grind wheel for my 6 inch bench grinder to sharpen lathe chisels and would like to ask you what grit do you recommend please.

Many thanks
Dave

Thanks the in for W2S.
I do like the look of those CNN wheels.
So if I was just going to use one grit so I could go from the wheel to the wood, what grit is best

One of the benefits of a CBN wheel is that it doesn't generate as much heat as other types & where as a courser wheel would be better (quicker) for reshaping a fine CBN would cope.
Grits are 80 & 120.
I can only see the Woodcut 6" x 1", 180 grit on the Axminster site.

I think that - on a CBN wheel - 180 grit is fine for both heavy and light grinding. The Stumpy Nubs video is correct on grit sizes. Mine is 180 and gives a finish which is a little coarse for a final edge for a skew, for example, but on the other side of my wheel I have a leather honing disc with green honing compound on it, which cleans things up nicely for a final edge.

Thanks both I like the idea of a leather honing wheel and will look in to that.
Do you have any issues with a hollow grind on skew chisels with a 6inch wheel or would a 8 inch be better.

Many thanks
Dave

Dave B":7cyj5k0g said:
Thanks both I like the idea of a leather honing wheel and will look in to that.
Do you have any issues with a hollow grind on skew chisels with a 6inch wheel or would a 8 inch be better.

Many thanks
Dave

Mine's actually an 8 incher :oops: and the hollowness of a hollow grind is not a problem for me - cheers, W2S

Dalboy":3lgw0kah said:
Honing on most turning tools is not needed. But it can be useful for other chisels in woodworking especially carving tools

And if you are not conversant with cutting tool grinding and subsequent honing, honing a turning gouge can actually be counter productive if you round over or produce a micro bevel on the edge, it can be ultra sharp and no problem with a hand carving tool but not ideal in a turning tool relying on bevel contact for support as it presents a blunt tool to the piece.
micobevel.jpg

Attachments

• micobevel.jpg
    micobevel.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 582
I think for that reason I will go for an 8 inch wheel so thanks for the feedback.
Also good to know about the micro bevel from stripping
Cheers guys
Dave

Back