Chisel Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Has any member made a chisel rack similar to the knive blocks that sit on table tops in kitchens. ?
Any comments welcome.

I liked that one too, Chris.

The trouble with the knife block type is I just know I'd manage to get some crud in there and it'd probably damage the edge. As none of my chisel handles are the same, unlike some swank so-and-so's round here, :p the identification problem wouldn't arise. At the moment I'm in a phase of preferring chisel rolls and drawers, but it varies. Have you seen the Popular Woodworking one? Or Scott Post's?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":gefh4vca said:
As none of my chisel handles are the same

Uh? Oh you mean like this?

jennings_chisels.jpg

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what I meant. :roll:

Mine used to be like this:

Chisels.jpg

But now they're mainly in rolls:

chiselroll.jpg

or just a jumble in drawers (take that, you varmit! :p ):

drawersecondright.jpg

Or another option:
IMG_0003rack.jpg

Holds 18 chisels, the rack hinges out for access to the ones on the back. Suits a wall cabinet.

Rgds

Noel

Alf":38s1u5kl said:
or just a jumble in drawers (take that, you varmit! :p ):

Must be those little sliding drawer thingies that cause the trouble. Junk those and the drawer dividers and you will have a jumble to be proud of - guaranteed to keep Band-Aid and oilstone manufacturers in business!

Noel, I like the hinged idea - great space saver!

The camera lies again; it truly isn't as neat as it looks. I have the scars to prove it. :roll:

Noely, I like, 8) but maybe the camera's lying there too 'cos I can only count 12. :?

Cheers, Alf

Nope. 12 in the front, 6 in the back, a few missing, lying on the bench.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for all the replies, what a super collection, makes coming back to this site always worthwhile.
I went surfing in addition to the replies and loaded up my hard disk (160gb) with another lifetime of projects.

although I have not tried it - yet. I have wondered about the merits of utilising those magnetic kitchen knive racks for holding chisels either attached to the wall or to the base of a drawer.

AndyP

I made this one
http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/and ... otoID=1291

for my Tool Cabinet
http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/and ... otoID=1352

The chisels do not bottom out and I am very pleased with the result.

I made it in sections using the table saw to saw out the slots, then finally glued it all together with the nice tiger maple front.

I needed to clear the glue a little from the slots, but not too much

I quickly got used to which is which , which is a slight downside as posted within this thread.

Why did I choose this solution, well it gives the advantage of a number of rows of tools, behind my chisels are my files and there is room behind then for more yet undefined purchases (Mortise Chisels maybe)

Andy

dedee":t0e5gzvz said:
although I have not tried it - yet. I have wondered about the merits of utilising those magnetic kitchen knive racks for holding chisels either attached to the wall or to the base of a drawer.

AndyP

I'd personally avoid using them as it would lead to the magnetisation of the tools. This would mean that they'd be susceptible to picking up any magnetic dust and dirt around (you'd be surprised how much there can be). Also, when sharpening, trying to remove filings from the end of a magnetised blade is a right royal pain.

Back