Chisel quality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly

Are you saying that some people collect tools? :wink: :shock:

Alf. I am deeply embarrassed if my post came across as "Woe betide you if your "end" is taking pleasure in using good tools, well tuned, 'cos there's always someone who'll helpfully point out that "you don't need that to do the job, I know X number of professionals who can do it with one hand, blindfolded, using a teaspoon".
I honestly did not mean it this way.

I get immense pleasure from using my tools to make furniture.
The "end" for me, as I am sure it is for many forum members, is using the fine tools combined with the pleasure in the final piece along with the pleasure in the face of the recipient - too much time tuning them gets in the way of this for me.
We all get our kicks in different ways be it making, tuning, collecting, discussing etc.- if I could afford it I'd collect the full range of LN planes; luckily I can't :D

Hope I haven't come across in a condescending manner

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

No, it's probably I who should apologise. I'm afraid the "do you really need the best tools" debate is like a red rag to a bull to me. All too swiftly it can descend into people feeling uncomfortable about what tools they have and don't have, and suddenly, before you know it, they've left the forum. As long as everyone remembers that everyone else's approach to woodworking is just a valid as their own (yes, even Normites! :shock: :lol: ) we'll be fine. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Tony said:
I get immense pleasure from using my tools to make furniture.
The "end" for me, as I am sure it is for many forum members, is using the fine tools combined with the pleasure in the final piece along with the pleasure in the face of the recipient - too much time tuning them gets in the way of this for me.
quote]

Right with you Tony! If you are happy with the tools you have and the standard of work you are producing then the world is a happy place :D

Really, we should be seeing more project gloats on this forum not tool gloats. What do you folk think?
regards,
Philly :D

Philly":un0jyl53 said:
Really, we should be seeing more project gloats on this forum not tool gloats. What do you folk think?
I think my rate of posting would drop right off... :oops: :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Does this mean i can put me old marples butter knives back on display :lol: .I know they take a beating for being an average tool but they have served me well over the years and been used for paint scrapers from time to time :oops:

I have both DC's books and enjoy them too but I can't help but think DC is a little bit of an anorak when it comes to tools. Most of the tools I own I bought as I was going through my apprenticeship and these are the marples and stanleys, that's what was available and you bought the best you could afford, (can anyone remember the internal debate if I buy this plane instead of that one I can afford a pint with me mates).
Before anyone jumps on my case I don't have an axe to grind (estwing 1.5 lbs) :lol: about anyones choice of tool. Now I'm no longer an on the tools joiner I can do it for pleasure and that is where I suspect it lumps me with every other member of this forum WE ENJOY WORKING WITH WOOD.
Everyone has the right to pick and choose their favourite brands and it's great to see the different reports and discussions back and forth about it all.
The only type I save my pity for is the one who collects old tools, polishes them up and sits them on a shelf to gather dust. I agree that a tools is a thing of beauty but the way to get the maximum pleasure from them is to get down and dirty and use them.
God I didn't realize how far down the slope I was, I can't see the top. :shock: .
climbs down from the soapbox and heads for the bunker.

Happy woodworking

Drew

D'oh! Too early in the morning. :oops: My 'pologies, Drew. I was confidently expecting myself to muddle up all the Johns too... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Back