Chisel manufacturer identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Wondering if anyone recognises the makers mark on this chisel please

Sorry for the photo but its the best I could do

Its the smallest of the four in the other picture

Cheers

Attachments

• Clip33.jpg
    Clip33.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Clip32.jpg
    Clip32.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 435
It's a bit of an odd one! The only thing really I can make out 100% is "Cast Steel". Looks kind of similar to an old Ward makers mark which was an Anvil.

Chis_2.jpg

Thanks for your reply

Yes it has me baffled for now, its a thin blade and they stamped it slightly skew whiff so the makers name is half on and half off the blade

Best I could make of it was F. then R? or K? ? H N

The annoying thing is I think I have seen this mark before but can't remember where or when

Its a nice little chisel with a tip about 1.5mm wide

Trevanion said:
It's a bit of an odd one! The only thing really I can make out 100% is "Cast Steel". Looks kind of similar to an old Ward makers mark which was an Anvil.

DSC00882b.jpg
I tried again for a better photo

Not sure if it is or not

Attachments

• DSC00882b.jpg
    DSC00882b.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 381
I can't see it in the 1919 Sheffield Trade Marks directory. That increases the chances that it's a minor 20th century maker. I'll keep looking later on.

I've now flicked through Tweedale's Directory and Trademarks on Base Metal Tableware (both good sources of old trade marks) but didn't find anything like the mark on your chisel.
I hope someone else can!

Whatever the little drawing is supposed to represent, I think I can see why it wasn't hugely successful. Some of the old marks were a bit bizarre (anyone have any Octopus or Screw brand tools?) but most of them were more easily recognised.

Many thanks for looking for me

I too am baffled as to what its meant to represent, I wondered if it was an incorporation of an A , it looks like a cantilever type bridge, like you find in Holland but it may be something entirely different

There's another possibility.
Even though it says "cast steel" it might not have been made in England.
It could have been made for export.

Belatedly armed with this thought, I looked at Wolfgang Jordan's ever useful site.

This page doesn't actually have an image of the exact mark, but I reckon the picture is of a workbench and it's from these people:

https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/haendler/kuehn.phtml

kuehn_03.jpg

Many thanks, I think you definitely have it there

I had considered it wasn't an English chisel, but hadn't found a contender

Its these little puzzles that are very satisfying to crack, many thanks for that

I shall have a read up on Mr KUHN

Its a very pleasant little tool, and very welcome to have in my collection

I find chisels that aren't made in the UK interesting, especially on the continent as they're usually only a little different in shape and handle pattern rather than massively different like the Japanese.

I've got an old 1" Erik Anton Berg Chisel that was made in Sweden kicking around somewhere that is a lovely little tool.

Back