Chisel ID Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi....oh great master sleuths!

Some time ago I re-handled a small turning gouge and when finishing the sharpening tonight I thought I would see who made it. I hadn't even bothered looking before...don't know why...I just used it and since it was such high quality steel I kind of took it for granted.

DSC_0917.JPG

While I was fixing the ferrule on I checked out the mark and found this....

DSC_0918.JPG

Not Sheffield but Swansea...and A.Paton and Co......never heard of them and I can't find anything about the company on Google either! This is strange....

Does anyone know anything about this maker?

It is really lovely steel and I am amazed there is nothing online....perhaps it's just me!

Any help Sherlocks...gratefully received.

Jim

Alf":213jixor said:
If you've got time on your hands, Jim, try the Trade Directories for Wales. Might be a dealer rather than a maker too.

BINGO!!!

A.Paton...Ironmongers....Swansea....P90 of Wales Register and Guide 1878

ALF....you are a genius!! =D>

More later...all I have to do is find P90 now! #-o

Jim

VOILA!

tiff2png.exe

Marvellous this Internet thingy init!

:mrgreen:

And you were right about the dealer too! Bravo!

On the back it has L & Co. Warranted Cast Steel....so that might prove a tad more difficult! :?

But 1878....no wonder it is a beautiful piece of steel!

Jim

Hmmm. May have been forged in Sheffield (by L & Co., whoever they might be) and the dealer's name struck in by arrangement. One of those tools knocked out in their thousands by the 'Little Mesters'?

Ah, result. Nice. Mind you, delving into the trade directories after tool marks is a whole slippery slope in itself, Jim. You may not thank me in the long term. :lol:

Alf":34ovvny2 said:
Ah, result. Nice. Mind you, delving into the trade directories after tool marks is a whole slippery slope in itself, Jim. You may not thank me in the long term. :lol:

Um..... :oops:

Silly o'clock this morning I happened on this entry...

NOTICE.—The Copartnership carried on for some time
past at Swansea, in the county of Glamorgan, by
Frederick John Rayner and Samuel Gibbs, as Ironmongers,
under the firm of Rayner and Gibbs, was on the 29th day
of September last dissolved by mu t u al consent.—Dated this
9th day of October, 1855. F. J. Rayner.
Saml. Gibbs

Frederick John Rayner being the previous owner of the ironmongers at 34 Castle Street Swansea.

......I see what you mean ALF....and all from one chisel steel! 8)

It's as if the steel is talking......:tool:

Jim

Jim

I have to say that's a really beautiful handle that you've fitted to your turning gouge.

Glad you could trace its history.

Regards.

Evergreen":uulf8yuc said:
Jim

I have to say that's a really beautiful handle that you've fitted to your turning gouge.

Glad you could trace its history.

Regards.

Cheers EG....it's one of my favourite shapes...not mine of course...just old research...

lathe75.jpg

I think there are plenty of fantastic shapes out there from time gone by that it's pointless trying to make others...I just mix them up a bit! :mrgreen:

A nice bit of wood helps too! :wink:

Jim

Back