Chisel Honing Guide Recomendations Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

Reaction score
I recently bought a cheap honing guide from screwfix which was "OK" but not great and wouldn't take even a 12mm chisel as the bevel wasn't steep enough (or any smaller width) .... and even if it did I'm not convinced it'd be that square.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable budget honing guide for a relative newbie to DIY, I've googled and looked at Amazon reviews and opinions seem so mixed I thought I'd be better off asking real people in a forum.

I bought a Veritas honing guide from a forum member & it's far better than the cheaper guides, although it should be for the price. The cheap ones can have their slots filed to provide a better seating for most chisels but they still are a pain with thick bodied firmer type chisels.

I bought a Veritas honing guide from a forum member & it's far better than the cheaper guides, although it should be for the price. The cheap ones can have their slots filed to provide a better seating for most chisels but they still are a pain with thick bodied firmer type chisels.

Just googled those and look like a decent piece of kit but didn't really want to spend £55+ on one .... that said all the cheaper ones seem to have very average reviews at best so maybe there's no half way house.

Last edited:
Don't be lulled into the false necessity for 'dead on' bevel angles. If you can't maintain constant angles by hand, use only pull strokes when honing your 30 degree angle. Takes a month at most to get it. Honestly!

John

John, some of us can't saw to a line let alone maintain an angle thus a jig gives us that consistancy. Even if I managed to not round over the bevel, by the time I needed to sharpen the plane or chisel again that muscle memory would be long gone.

Back