Chisel Handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying some Ashley Iles bevel edged chisels. They offer 2 handles, standard and a shorter butt STYLE. As a newby looking at learning how to do standard joints (halving, dovetail, m&t etc) which style would be recommended? (I already have a separate mortice chisel).

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

Is there any way you can get to try the difference? I think it'd be a purely subjective thing and impossible to advise on really. :-k Dunno if anyone out there in the cyber workshop has both to take a comparison shot of 'em?

Cheers, Alf

Alan,

I've just got a set of the Ashley Iles standard handles. I chose these rather than the butt versions, as they're closest to what I've been trained with. The weight and balance is pretty good for me, as Alf say's its fairly subjective. I find them easy to handle / control for the various joints I'm practising on. Quality's pretty good too.

Cheers

Howard

Echoing what has been said, Alan, I wouldn't bother to much about 'styles'. Rather, try to get hold of each type in your hand and go for the ones that are most comfortable for you.

For example, I have large hands so usually tend to go for longer, larger handles where there is a choice. Or I make my own to suit where possible (although that comes a bit later on). I am sure that the more comfortable they 'feel', the better you will get on with them.

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks for the advice all. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a local stockist with both types of handles so I might just have to take a punt on the traditional style for now.

Cheers

Alan

I might just have to take a punt on the traditional style for now.

I have both styles (actually just one handy sized butt chisel) and IMHO think you'll have made the right choice, unless you have very small hands. They're not slightly different - they're hugely different in size and feel! I find the large handles the most comfortable and precise control of any chisels I have used.

Ike

Latest posts

Back