Chisel gouge quandry.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My wife has recently bought a home made lathe, =D> which I am presently reconditioning for her. #-o :-k :twisted: (hammer)

As a beginner, what would be the best chisels for my wife to start with :?:

Any advice would be much appreciated. [-o<

ATB Gary & Mrs Gary. :)

Avoid any of the cheap sets that are around, the quality of the steel is very poor and this will be reflected in your results.

Depending on what type of work you are going to do you will find the foillowing useful.

Roughing gouge
Parting Tool
Skew (I don't use mine much)
Spindle gouge
Bowl gouge
Round nosed scraper.

Go for makes like Crown, Sorby & Hamilton and you won't go far wrong.

Jason

Thanks for your advice Jason.

Neither my wife or myself know anything about turning. :!: Are there any good books that you, or anyone else could recommend for a total beginner.

Is there a particular wood to start with :?: bearing in mind my wife will only be making round sticks to get used to the tools.:!: (We are paupers).

ATB Gary & Mrs Gary.

Gary,

Pardon me dropping in, but try your library/bookstore for "Woodturning: A Foundation Course (New Edition)" by Keith Rowley.

The ISBN is 1 86108 114 6. It also is available in video (not sure about DVD).

Ray.

Gary,

I agree totally with Ray. Keith Rowley's book gives all the information needed to start turning - it is clear and easily readable for the beginner, giving all the advice needed to start turning.

I am sure the book covers it but, to start with, I would suggest using some pine. As a softwood, it is easy to cut but not so easy to get a decent finish on. Once she has learnt to cut and achieve a good finish on pine she will be able to turn anything. And, of course, pine is fairly cheap and easy to practice with.

Jason's recommendation for a starter set of tools is spot on.

Cheers,

TYrev.

Gary

I would strongly recommend going on a beginners course, these are normally 2 days and within the reach of most peoples pockets.

When I got my lathe a couple of years ago, being unsure of the techniques even after reading the books I held back until I'd had some hands on training.

Like any tool in the workshop they can be dangerous bits of kit if not treated right.

Gary,

If you have time go to Yandles (Martock, Somerset) at the weekend - there will be lots of woodturning demonstrators there, all happy to give advice. You'll also be able to pick up some decent tools at a good price. I'd add Ashley Isles to the list of recommendations.

HTH,

Pete

Thank you everyone for your input.

Ray, - because of my broken leg I tend not to go out much, with that and the PC I tend to forget about the library. Good idea.

Waka said:-
I would strongly recommend going on a beginners course

Thanks for your input Waka.
We have been discussing the idea of a course, but with me starting a furniture course soon - well money dictates.

Pete, - I take it by the date of your post you mean next weekend, Sat 10th Sept?

Thank you all again.

ATB Gary.

Latest posts

Back