Chisel gets dull whilst working up through the grits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As ever I'd say that the skill level needed for freehand sharpening is exaggerated.
How on earth did they manage for 1000s of years before the honing jig fashion kicked in only 40 years ago or so? It was usually learned in a few hours in week one.
Woodwork itself is much more demanding than sharpening a few chisels, which is about as easy as sharpening a pencil.
I think the jigs make it more difficult and the idea that sharpening is difficult becomes a self confirming - to be rapidly followed by purchase of a different jigs, alternative stones, glass plates, expensive diamond plates, and £100s spent in no time for no real benefit.
That says more about you and your usage and skill than it does about the usefulness of honing guides

My personal usage of sharpening is quite likely to be once a year at most so I use a veritas guide and get perfect results.

How they worked for thousands of years did not include all the various power tools that I have and use, so sharpening was a much more necessary and frequent occurrence.

as to honing jigs, they have been in use for very much longer than you imagine. Professional woodworkers probably didn’t use them but others certainly did.

Your viewpoint seems to be extremely restricted and blinkered

Your scenario sounds completely reasonable. I don't think you'll make a dent trying to explain something to someone who knows so much that they can't learn more.
I agree, it’s looking more and more likely that yet another “plonk” is coming.

That BTW is showing how long I’ve been using computers and bbs SW, since long before the internet existed.

Hard to comment with so little info of what might be the case
A photo can often be worth a thousand words.

A finishing hone that's at least the same height or lower than the others might help, If it is the case that things are the other way round.
I have quite a tall sharpening station around tablesaw height and that would be the case,
would likely be less of an issue if it were lower like Cosman's.

That might be the extreme end of things, but it clearly works for him,
Looks about sawhorse height, I wonder if there's any mention of that in old texts?

A bit stoopy looking for me personally, but then again at TS height a
bit wristy if one was doing an Alan Peters 10 irons at a time job.
Not getting into what counts as too shelfy!

Tom

Your viewpoint seems to be extremely restricted and blinkered
Restricted yes and am keeping it that way, but not blinkered - it's based on 60 years of woodworking experience and having tried most things!
as to honing jigs, they have been in use for very much longer than you imagine. Professional woodworkers probably didn’t use them but others certainly did.
Yes they have but only as a gadget for amateurs. Old ones are quite rare to non existent.

Restricted yes and am keeping it that way, but not blinkered - it's based on 60 years of woodworking experience and having tried most things!
I have no problem with you doing things your way that’s absolutely your prerogative. But totally blinked by giving a response that takes no account of different skill, experience, interests than yours, phrasing it as “THE CORRECT WAY” rather than the way that works for you, though probably not for many others.

As to honing guides it’s likely that many would have been home made and not recognised as being more than just scraps so not preserved, however even with a cursory search I've found them dated at least 110 years old so forgive me for doubting your claims.

Why not buy a TREND FTS/F4T Fast Track Sharpener ?You get a good deal at d+m tools I have always been rubbish at sharpening My workshops full of Jigs Waterstone the lot and I always get the same results as you so I bought one of these Man they really do work and my chissels are great Ive been wood workin 45 years really is great

Interesting thread, just read it, like deja vu for some reason. It seems predictable how sharpening threads go.

Meilleurs GIFs Popcorn | Gfycat

Interesting thread, just read it, like deja vu for some reason. It seems predictable how sharpening threads go.

Absolutely...... :):):) it's straining the limits of politeness but still going strong. There's plenty of mileage in it yet.

Saturday afternoon, half-time in the cup final and I've just got a beer and caught up with the latest.

We have only touched a couple of posts that claim you can't get any work done if you don't do it someone's specific way....I mean, once we get that started, there's a lot left in the tank, because it's usually said by people who do really crude work.

I have no problem with you doing things your way that’s absolutely your prerogative. But totally blinked by giving a response that takes no account of different skill, experience, interests than yours, phrasing it as “THE CORRECT WAY” rather than the way that works for you, though probably not for many others.
I've never ever said anything about “THE CORRECT WAY” it's not what I think. What I have said is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way. That's all really. Don't know why it's a problem.

We have only touched a couple of posts that claim you can't get any work done if you don't do it someone's specific way....I mean, once we get that started, there's a lot left in the tank, because it's usually said by people who do really crude work.
Oh God, if we start going down the path of having to prove our woodworking capabilities before we are allowed to comment on sharpening techniques that will close the whole thing down completely and then where would we get some entertainment

Difficult to tell if that’s an attempt at humour or just an amazingly arrogant thing to say.

Back