Chisel dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al 546

Reaction score
Hi, being new to wood turning and almost ready to start turning. Lathe arrived, with chuck and sharpening gear en route to our home in slovenia. I ordered a box set of traditional Robert Sorby chisels before Christmas to be delivered direct via global shipping. Sadly but don't ask me why , they where undeliverable so they went back. So now I'm back to a blank canvas. My question is if you where in this position now experienced with the tool's and the new technology available would you still be in favour of a traditional set or maybe one of these sets that as one aluminium handle and changeable chisels or the ones you can change the tips? Watching you tube videos, I've noticed most bowl turners using these modern chisels with a rail of traditional tools set on a wall behind them. Its most likely I will be attempting bowl turning more than spindles. I'd be grateful for your thoughts. Happy New year.

I would advise a basic traditional set with wooden handles , I have one tool with a metal handle and in the winter it's freezing to hold unless you put it on a heater first

it's a pain to swop tool ends....because u will need to change tool shape quite ofet...as above......

I have 8 x 9" grinders all with different blades / disc's......plus the 4", it's just a pain and a waste of shop time.....

If I were buying tools from scratch I would buy Crown cryo gouges. I have H. Taylor, Sorby and Ashley Iles, but think the Crown hold their edges better. I stick with wooden handles as I like handles with a bit more shape and also I don't like sets - I invariably pick up the wrong tool.

Given your delivery problems and location, I would suggest you get a set of chisels from Narex. Their hand chisels are excellent value for money and the turning chisels they produce are made of the same steel. They are competitively priced and may be a lot easier to aquire for you.

https://www.narextools.cz/en/woodturning-chisels

Back