Chipped shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C -furniture

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Clifton shoulder plane fell off the bench and now has a chip in the mouth! Before begin asking around engineering firms firsty, can it be repaired? And who to approach?

As many of you may understand, ive had it for many years so would prefer not to just get a new one .

Attachments

Attachments

• 20210911_120354.jpg
    20210911_120354.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 89
This is grey iron, not ductile iron, hence it chipped. Iron can be welded. Layers can be added, and then filed to shape. That is the way I would go. I would avoid epoxy fillers as they are not durable and will fall off. The danger with welding is heat and warps.

The alternative is to leave it as is. The mouth looks untouched - lucky! - and that is the important area. The chipped section looks like that blade support/bed, and this is less crucial in this case.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is grey iron, not ductile iron, hence it chipped. Iron can be welded. Layers can be added, and then filed to shape. That is the way I would go. I would avoid epoxy fillers as they are not durable and will fall off. The danger with welding is heat and warps.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks Derek, yes thats what I was hoping could be done.

Which model number is your plane ? Two other possibilities are laser welding (if it’s possible) or Eutectic welding.
I have Eutectic facilities and it will work on cast iron but there would be some minor distortion to resolve. I have had several consonants repaired bu laser welding, very successful and low to nil distortion the downside is it can be expensive depending on material being welded and the size of the weld. If you want details of the company I use please message me.

Before bothering to fix it, I would use it as is after filing the broken are a bit more rounded. See if it actually makes a difference in use.

Before bothering to fix it, I would use it as is after filing the broken are a bit more rounded. See if it actually makes a difference in use.
It doesn't really make much of a appreciative difference, but just botherths
Which model number is your plane ? Two other possibilities are laser welding (if it’s possible) or Eutectic welding.
I have Eutectic facilities and it will work on cast iron but there would be some minor distortion to resolve. I have had several consonants repaired bu laser welding, very successful and low to nil distortion the downside is it can be expensive depending on material being welded and the size of the weld. If you want details of the company I use please message me.
This would be of interest, the model is 420. Thanks

Back