Chipped edges on new planes and do new planes need sharpening before use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my bad, i didnt see the message from bacms, used to live near the beehive at some point,

@Bacms whenever you are available i'd be extremely grateful to drop by for a chat! I'm free at any time this weekend as well as today, really appreciate the offer

I have replied to your message. This weekend would work for me and I was already planning to spend part of tomorrow sharpening my planes so it would be ideal

I’m astonished anyone’s been as supportive as they have been given his previous conduct, still, we’ve seen what Peter’s after sales support looks like, I’m inclined to buy from him in future, if only I actually needed any more tools

Aidan

Last edited:
Woodworking vendors are generally tops! You guys across the pond have many, as we do here in the states. Most new to our hobby or profession need a helping hand, and my hat is off to all many of you have offered!

Paul Sellers uses a compromise. On 8" diamond whetstones, 'rocks' (by fractions of an inch) from one end to 'tother, hence (sort of) producing a gradual bevel? Finish with a strop. Works for me, from my hand axe through to plane blades and 1/8" chisels.

It’s good to see Peter going above & beyond what a lot of tool sellers would, as a very happy customer of his I’m not surprised. Well done Peter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seb was around this morning and we had a nice chat and got some 2 of the planes up to scratch and working again. He came across well and to be honest I think it just felt a bit intimidated by the reactions here to which I believe was a genuine question even if it didn't come across like that.

He has just started working with planes and if anything was just misguided by the information that premium planes come ready to use out of the box, which is partially true if you know what you are doing but they certainly don't come with the skill you will need to acquire as you use them.

And BTW the reason we only 2 planes ready was time nothing else. I have a record wet stone sharpener which is the slowest thing in the world

Seb was around this morning and we had a nice chat and got some 2 of the planes up to scratch and working again. He came across well and to be honest I think it just felt a bit intimidated by the reactions here to which I believe was a genuine question even if it didn't come across like that.

He has just started working with planes and if anything was just misguided by the information that premium planes come ready to use out of the box, which is partially true if you know what you are doing but they certainly don't come with the skill you will need to acquire as you use them.

good on you for sorting him out.

Well done for helping him. He had at least three offers of help in this thread, which is not intimidating. I think perhaps he trapped himself in his threads by setting out a position of some experience, when in fact he is a novice. Hopefully he will get over it and will add to the forum as the novice journey is also interesting and useful

Thank you @Bacms for helping Sebastian with his plane blades, we have not received any reply to our email from him so I assume the blades are ok? If you did find any issues please PM me so we can ensure we don't have any quality problem.

Cheers Peter

The thread did have merit for future readers, if it were whole.
If possible, why not restore & lock ?

Would also have merit to new handplane users as to what to expect from new tools. Might not be a bad idea for an upcharge, for tool dealers to hone blades, do a basic set-up of the chipbreaker, take a few shavings and include said shavings in the package.

In any case new users need to be instructed in what to expect, otherwise similar insinuations (like those of the OP in this thread) might continue to be made. That is the shame of what has happened to this thread.

Would also have merit to new handplane users as to what to expect from new tools. Might not be a bad idea for an upcharge, for tool dealers to hone blades, do a basic set-up of the chipbreaker, take a few shavings and include said shavings in the package.

In any case new users need to be instructed in what to expect, otherwise similar insinuations (like those of the OP in this thread) might continue to be made. That is the shame of what has happened to this thread.

It's something of a cop-out for tool dealers and resellers to simply add their cut of the profit to an item that isn't really in a fit state to work properly. What else would you buy that wasn't in a fit condition to be used without significant buyer work to make it functional? In most cases, you'd return it not because it wasn't fixable (by you or anyone else) but because it hadn't already been fixed by the purveyor when it could have been.

Lie-Nielsen and Veritas produce planes and chisels that are ready to work out of the box - even though a savvy user can improve the edge by way of a micro-bevel or a quick hone to super (rather than merely functional) sharpness. Why don't all manufacturers of planes and chisels do this? One answer is that it would increase the cost. But that's true of any sold-article (the vast majority) that comes ready to use. The cost includes making it function without the buyer having to perform the final manufacturing processes.

Surely the manufacturer should make their wares not just fit for purpose but also ready for purpose. Manufacturers of most things do this, including tool manufacturers. You don't have to finally shape the end of your screwdriver or sharpen the teeth of your circular saw blade after you remove them from the packaging.

We seem to have got used to the notion that some things must be ready to use but others are for the user to make ready. What differentiates the two modes other than some peculiar tradition? Is there a reason that many plane blades and chisels should often come unready to be used whilst most other things are ready?

Eshmiel

Back