Chipboard Flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking at replacing our upstairs floorboards prior to carpeting and have been told that T&G chipboard if the way to go. I was just wondering what the best way to fix this down is and how I best combat uneven beams? Are there any other tips I should be aware of?

Cheers

Alan

screw it down, then you can tighten them up if they start to squeak

Andy

use proper chipboard screws and dont drill pilot holes

Thanks guys.

Martin, are we talking PVA or will silicon do?

How long should the screws be for 22mm chipboard?

Cheers

Alan

If your joists are very uneven you may find it difficult to fix T&G in place. In such circumstances it may be necessary to glue/pin softwood slips onto the tops of joists to level them up, although this normally only applies to VERY old buildings (i.e. 150 years old or above). A "quick fix" I've used in the past on very rough/uneven floors was to silicone/gimp pin oil-tempered hardboard or Masonite onto the top of the existing floorboards and tape the joints with carpet tape - not pretty, but it cuts the drafts and no-one is any the wiser once the carpet has gone down. If you do decide to glue the joints together I'd recommend leaving some access covers cut-out then screw into place above any major plumbing or wiring junctions, etc - you never know when you'll need repair or rewire...

Scrit

Now common practice to glue the top o joist as well as the board joints to stop the squeak/creaking. I'd personally use 50 mm drywall screws, four or five spaced along the joist. But FFS watch out for pipes/cables.

Stephen

If your joists are like some of mine (300+year old oak and all over the place) then the best way of levelling is to bolt 6x2 to the side of the original oak joists and level up that way. I gave up fiddling around with little packing pieces on top...

Thanks all. I'll see what the joists are like when I rip up some boards. The house is circa 1880 so hopefullt not too bad but given the state of the boards I'm not expecting much!

Alan

are we talking PVA or will silicon do?

PVA glue into the groove, not on the tongue, I used to sqeeze a bead of glue in and then with a small stiff paintbrush spread it all over the groove (putting just a thin bead of glue doesn't work nearly as well), use chipboard screws and say goodbye to squeeky floorboards :)

I still can't believe the number of jobs I've been ask to go and investigate and the boards have no glue :roll: :roll:

hope this helps

Common practice may be one thing, but has anyone ever asked an electrician for his opinion about it? Ear defenders may be advisible!

Scrit

agree with judder, watch out for pipes and cables.

had a small fountain on the upstairs landing of someones house the other week there.

much to judders amusement.

cheers scotty

Alan

Nothing to do with flooring but seal everything especially as your house is old like ours.

Seal the chipboard joins. Especially once the chipboard is down seal the gap at the bottom of the skirting boards and chipboard. The reason is that there is usually a large amount of air movement between the floorboards and ceiling below and this air (together with dust and dirt) will find a way through your lovely new carpet and leave a super brown mark all around the skirting board. DAMHIKT. Particularly important if you have open fires and use them.
Impossible to clean once it has happened. :cry:

Thanks for all the tips guys, the flooring arrives next week so I'll see how I get on - hopefully avoiding any foutains as we've just had the heating redone :D

Alan

Back