Chip Extractor for PT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent chip Extractor on a budget. Eyeing up the Axy trade PT with the helix head but specs show it needs 1000m3 an hour and having spoken to Axy they've said a 1hp machine won't do it and needs to be 1.5hp as a minimum really and to keep the run short.

Anyone have any ideas at a cheapish budget? Tye one Axy recommended was £650 which is just a no no budget wise.

Keep an eye on the auction site and if you use FB , marketplace, lots of people are clearing out spare gear or givng up at the moment ,things come up pretty regularly.

At the risk of being rude, I don't understand the desire to buy expensive equipment, but not invest in supporting systems that will help preserve your lungs. Of all the machines in my shop, the P/T creates by far the most amount of stuff that needs to be extracted as quickly and efficiently as possible. The only practical way to do this in an enclosed shop is with a dust extractor with enough horsepower to move the volume of air and a ducting system that will support the flow.

I'm assuming you're looking at the AT260SPT P/T at £1,649.50, since this is the lowest price Trade version I saw with spiral cutters.

If you can live without the spiral cutter, I recommend either the AT260PT and the 2HP AT170E extractor combination for £1,896.50, or the AC250PT Craft P/T and the AT170E extractor combination for £1,516.00.

The "good, quick, inexpensive...pick two" dilemma seems to apply in most decision making processes, so if you want "good" and need it to be "cheapish", you might have to wait for a good deal on a used system. I wish you the best!

Plus 1.
Dont skimp on the dust extraction. You wouldnt buy a 200 mph racing engine for your car and then fit the cheapest used brakes you can find. Would you? :roll: :lol:

Look at previous posts on extractors. The Fox 842 is less than £250 and is 1.5 HP. It's very well spoken of by owners. I think it's Charnwood who sell at a good price. I agree about the "woodworkers curse" of buying cheap Chinese carp. Solid British cast iron will last decades and then sell for more than you paid for it. I'm sure the extractor named is made in China but will do the job. It's time we gave our manufacturers a chance but can they compete?

What are you doing for your other machines? If you're running them without dust collection you really need to reconsider. Getting them and the new machine on a powerful dust collector will keep your shop clean and most importantly your lungs. A little cheap DC will be poorly fit and have leaks allowing fine dust into the shop. The filters will also be lousy, also passing fine dust. It will also not be powerful enough to capture the dust at the machine allowing dust to escape. Understand the airflow ratings on dust collectors are with no ducting or filters and the flow measured at the centre of the short test duct where the air flows the fastest. Put all that stuff on and the DC will draw about half its advertised airflow. So your 1000m3 machine needs a DC promoted as a 2000m3 machine and you will need 150mm ducting to achieve that kind of flow. A 100mm pipe can only move a third as much air.

Unfortunately your wallet and lungs are at odds with each other.

Pete

So to be clear I'm not trying to skimp on dust extraction, I'm just not able to pay the £650 for the 2hp machine Axy suggested as well as buying the PT.

My table saw and router table are serviced by a Record DX1000.

My hand router, Deros and other hand power tools are still connected to aHenry Hoover but with a cyclone separator and blue drum in-between to increase capacity. I also use this for the bandsaw by placing the nozzle under the table as the 100mm port in the saw did noting even with the DX1000 connected.

My SCMS is connected to a Titan wet and dry, I'd like to upgrade.

I also have a Record AC400 hung from the ceiling.

The Titan will be getting a HEPA filter upgrade as soon as I have a chance to get to Screwfix.

I also have one of the powered full face masks from Axy for when I'm going to create serious dust.

Not perfect and can be improved but it's not like I don't take dust extraction seriously.

Looking at the Fox F50 2hp. It lacks fine filtration but will be suitable for chips

I got it wrong . It's poolewood who sell the Fox50 842 with a three year guarantee, and it's 1.5 KW (2 HP)

I ended up ordering the Fox F50-842 from Polewood as I know Ian's a good guy, sorted the return of my dodgy Charnwood router table and sorted a new NVR for me very quickly when I ordered my new SIP 10" table saw from him a few weeks back.

Ended up with the traditional 3 blade trade machine from Axy - the auction site had a £50 off voucher on it and after speaking to technical support at Axy today I got the feeling they've had more issues with the spiral machine - apparently initial set up has been an issue.

Latest posts

Back