Chip extractor DIY (non) filter bag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yosarian

Established Member
Reaction score
My chip extractor is housed in a lean-to round the back of my workshop, with the hose going through the wall. As such, I am not particularly concerned with filtering the air coming out as it blows away over the adjacent fields. The larger chips are collected in the usual plastic sack beneath the extractor. My current upper filter bag has become caked with dust, and has also got wet at some point leaving a thick cake of dried dust, and this has affected the volume of air the extractor will pull. I am considering making a new bag with a coarser material, which will filter less, and hopefully therefore improve airflow.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or similar experience? Recommendations of 'filter' material?

Thanks.

Take to a laundrette and wash and dry it there, it will filter less and improve flow.

The other thing to consider is environmental health.... as in, the department. If you have neighbours or anyone who can see this or be affected by it, they might call environmental health.... and do you have kids? In summer when its dry and not so much wind, will it leave fine dust nearby?

I would do as @Sachakins has suggested

Good points everyone, thank you. I will replace the bag with another purpose made one. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it to a launderette in the state it is.

@Yojevol that is very kind. I am fully prepared to buy a new one, but if the diameter of yours was 500-600mm then I would like to take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks all.

Good points everyone, thank you. I will replace the bag with another purpose made one. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it to a launderette in the state it is.

@Yojevol that is very kind. I am fully prepared to buy a new one, but if the diameter of yours was 500-600mm then I would like to take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks all.
The bag circumference is 1560mm. Is that of any use?
Brian

I MUST be missing the point. Couldn't you just wash it in a bucket of soapy water, rinse, repeat a coupe of times, then hang it on the line to dry. If necessary leave it to soak for an hour or so first time.....

The bag circumference is 1560mm. Is that of any use?
Brian

For anyone who doesn't like doing sums as much as I do, that gives a diameter of around [edit because Inspector rightly pointed out my sums were wrong] 495mm.

Last edited:
I do!

I just typed in 1599.49 instead of 1560. And I have no idea how or why. I have corrected in my post and will do some trigonometric calculus as a punishment.

Sporky's original post, that I didn't quote, was 510mm thus my poke at him. With him editing the post to 495mm it made mine look like I was picking nits. 🤷‍♂️

Do you want the bag area with or without the painted/printed Axminster logo area removed since it doesn't filter the same as an unmarked bag? 🤔

For all intents and purposes since the DC is outside a burlap sack would be sufficient to capture the shavings. The escaping dust would be dissipated over the "adjacent fields" and doesn't matter one bit unless there are dwellings in close proximity which thus far has never been stated.

Pete

Sporky's original post, that I didn't quote, was 510mm thus my poke at him. With him editing the post to 495mm it made mine look like I was picking nits. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry (again) - now re-edited to clarify. I didn't want to leave my initial wrong and potentially misleading answer in place.

No sweat Sporky I know it wasn't an intentional move by you to make me look bad but subsequent readers loose the context and perceive things differently. I have been on another forum where a poster consistently posted confrontationally and after several reacted would go back and change his post to look like a victim. He was divisive enough the members left and the forum died off a few months later. The only defence is to always quote when answering but that makes for a lot more to scroll past before getting to the new comments so I haven't been doing that. After this I will to eliminate that rare possibility.

Pete

And I will endeavour, when correcting something like that, to make it clearer that I dun a booboo and am setting it right.

Let's never fight again. ;)

Back