Chip/dust extractor advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grahame

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just landed my first P/T from e-Bay - Jet-260
Not arrived yet- but before I start making a pile of chips I need some good advice on extraction
I also have a triton 2000 saw and separate triton router table
With both of these I currently use an old household vac through triton "bucket" - barely adequate performance-wise
Little jobs on both seem to make a lot of stray dust
So i'd like to use something to serve all three with mobile rather than fixed plumbing
Will be cutting some mdf
I can vent outside - no neighbours
I've got more confused as I've read up on various options
I think I want to get Chems cyclone and a big plastic drum
Cyclone Central say the 100mm cyclone is for 2hp+ extractor

I'm really looking for tried and tested advice - don't mind spending a bit as I got the P/T at a good price

I had a 2hp axy unit for a while, it was ok, but I bought the SIP 3hp unit last year from here.

Very good unit, great suction, really helps to catch the finer dust from the table saw. The unit I had before even when it was all hooked up with under the table and over the table extraction, the base of the saw would still get full of dust. That doesn't happen anymore. I think that units a bargain at £244 delivered. All other 3hp units are twin bags and upwards of £360.

This was my previous unit:

I even hooked it up in series to another extractor but this was what was left in my table saw after a year of use:

With the new extractor this is the level of dust it catches nothing to do with the Cyclone just to show its able to suck that finer stuff that the previous one didn't catch.

Hooked up like:

Chems":1kfokdjv said:
I had a 2hp axy unit for a while, it was ok, but I bought the SIP 3hp unit last year from here.

Very good unit, great suction, really helps to catch the finer dust from the table saw. The unit I had before even when it was all hooked up with under the table and over the table extraction, the base of the saw would still get full of dust. That doesn't happen anymore. I think that units a bargain at £244 delivered. All other 3hp units are twin bags and upwards of £360.

The specifications say "Motor 1500watt (3hp) 230volt" but 1500w = 2hp #-o So which is it?

thumbelina_smallest_horse.jpg

RogerP":nta6tgw1 said:
Chems":nta6tgw1 said:

The specifications say "Motor 1500watt (3hp) 230volt" but 1500w = 2hp #-o So which is it?

It just a mis-print on their site.

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/info_SIP01954.html

I agree that you might need a 3 hp unit. The issue is that these should be able to pull through enough air to actually keep the fines and chips in suspension. Lesser motors will not be able to achieve this. 2hp units will work OK with smaller machines if they are not used extensively. I bought an Axi 2200 twin bag unit but had the bags replaced with filters.

Having bought my bag unit I would add not a cyclone but a Thien Separator. In some instances this can be engineered into the bag collector. You can build the Thien separator yourself. This is cheap to do. If you then decide to adda cyclone instead you have not lost much and can reuse the Thien Separator. The separator works in a cyclonic fashion to capture fines as well as chips.

Then I would add an upper filter to replace the bag aimed at collecting down to 1 micron or below.

regards
Alan

beech1948":127ou6df said:
Having bought my bag unit I would add not a cyclone but a Thien Separator. In some instances this can be engineered into the bag collector. You can build the Thien separator yourself. This is cheap to do. If you then decide to adda cyclone instead you have not lost much and can reuse the Thien Separator. The separator works in a cyclonic fashion to capture fines as well as chips.

That's what the Jet machine that blister linked to does, it has what Phil Thien called a poor relation to his Thien separator inside the the main body.

I don't want to hi-jack this interesting thread, but what would you recommend for a single vac extractor to do the whole 9 yards in a small (12' x 8' workshop)? I mean by this, collect fine dust particulates and also have the oomph to give good suction when connected to a small band saw, a router and a wood lathe? Is there a one type fits all for those purposes?

Cheers

Steve

Yeah, the Kendal tools site has fixed the specs on their site now.

@Steve, I think the CamVacs with double or triple motors are the best all rounders for chips and fine dust from powertools.

Thanks for all interest and advice.
I'm beginning to realise that this is not a simple plug and play option!
I seem to have spent most of the w/e trawling the web - mostly coming back to Pentz's site
Now I'm really scared! - especially when I read about fine particles/filter efficiency etc
I like the sound of the SIP 3hp D/C - in terms of CMH/£
So, if I start there:

A Thien or cyclone separator on a big bin sounds good for easy disposal
I'm working in a large barn which will be workshop/store/garage etc and dust everywhere will be a nightmare
It will never be warm so heat loss is not an issue
But I have plenty floor space to move kit around on castors
Should I have D/C on outside wall and vent D/c "output" outside?
Is this possible with SIP?
Or can I box in the D/C and use fan to exhaust box through wall?
With this sort of set-up would I have to set up each bit of chip/dust-making kit as near to the D/C as possible
Or would this cope with longer runs and I could have each machine permanently placed and simply swap hoses?

Ideally you want to keep your runs to a minimum, but I think you'd be alright with a 3hp machine of doing a fair length run say < 10m. The SIP would be easy to exhaust outside instead of hooking up the grey hose to the collection bags you could just duct that outside. If your going to duct outside you could do away with the cyclone or thein separator all together, just have the hose go out into a plywood type bin on the otherside of the wall. Like the meerkats say, simples!

How big is this barn? Although its great to be able to move the kit around you really want them sort of fixed and have them connected to the DC all the time so you don't have to be doing hose swapping with every machine change. I have a friend who works in a big barn and he has a big 3 phase extractor and has set up his P/T, spindle and table saw along the same wall that the DC is by and has a short run of ducting going to each machine.

As you say - simples!
The workshop area will be about L12m x W5m x H~5m to eaves with open rafters
So all I really need is the 3hp/ 300mm impeller - can this be bought separately? - rather than the SIP D/C
And a ? 150mm duct along one wall to hook-up to machines?
Will I need anything like a separator in the outside bin to drop the chips and dust from the airflow?

I don't know of anywhere that you can buy just the motor and fan, but to be honest for £244 you'd pay probably as much or more for a spare part anyway. Yes 150mm ducting reduced for the machines should do you fine. Regarding the size, just try not to span all your machines in each corner, which you shouldn't do anyway. If you read about workshop layout they always talk about a flow, going from jointer to thicknesser to table saw etc, they should all be nearby each other for easy of use. I'd just fire the chippings into a plywood bin with a bit of Hessian netting over the top to stop the larger chips getting out, you'll need to think of someway to transport the chips to the bin or tip if that's what your doing, perhaps and old ton bag would be ideal to collect into, you could then carry this off when full to dump. Or just keep the plywood bin small enough to lift away.

Latest posts

Back