Chip collectors with fine filters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Dust extraction again, sorry.
I've read quite a few of the member here use HVLP chip collectors (located outside their workshop) to catch sanding dust.

Whilst watching the Axminster videos with Colwyn Way on YouTube, I saw he uses a chip collector with a 1 micron cartridge filter in his home workshop to catch sanding dust. The extractor is the predecessor to this model Axminster Trade AT60E 1HP Extractor I found it interesting/unusual to see the extractor is/was situated in his workshop, very close to his lathe. Would this not be just blowing the really fine dust back out?

I brought this up, as I was reminded in a more recent video. Skip to about 9 minutes in this video, someone asks about the extractor for use on sanding dust and he says its suitable as it has a 'fine' bag filter on.

The gent in the video doesn't know much about dust and I would suggest not following his advise.

There are very few DCs that come with rated 0.5 micron rated filters. You can get them but they would not come from the import DC sellers. Many claim their DC to have a 1 micron filter which on the surface looks good until you find their efficiency claims. This link illustrates the amount of dust going through a filter with what look like high ratings (higher than a lot of the sellers state). https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/south-pacific/sites/cumminsfiltration-empty.bitnamiapp.com.south-pacific/files/LT36320AU NanoForce AF879NF & AF899NF for Mining Applications Flyer.pdf I know it is for truck filters but the principles apply.

The next issue is the small DC does not move enough air to capture the fine dust to begin with and having it outside (bit better) or inside doesn't matter. It doesn't grab the dust in the first place. You need a machine capable of handling 150mm/6" ducting. 100mm/4" duct moves 1/3 as much air as the bigger no matter what DC it is attached to. A 2hp is the minimum providing the duct run is short. There are mods you can do to the intake and exit of the impeller to better the flow.

Pete

To be fair to the bloke in the video he does say a fine filter cartridge would be better.
I just found it strange how he said the bag would be ok though. I haven't seen much information on the Axminster site regarding bag filtration, I did see one that said 5. I guess they don't go down to 1 as that make the pleated ones pointless.

I'm not knocking Colwyn, he seems like a nice chap and I've enjoyed watching the turning videos (even though most/all of them are geared to make you buy stuff). I just found it a bit misleading (to people with even less knowledge than me...if that's possible) to say that setup would be ok for sanding.

@scooby I’m guessing when the video was done the questions were coming in live?
I doubt he’d say anything against the set up Axminster provided so I figured that’s why he gave the answer in the way he did.
Im certainly not saying he’s right, he’s not, but there in lies the problem with most of the videos I see it’s all about product placement & advertising whether directly or indirectly & the presenters are loathed to be at all critical of the tools they are using.

@scooby I’m guessing when the video was done the questions were coming in live?
I doubt he’d say anything against the set up Axminster provided so I figured that’s why he gave the answer in the way he did.
Im certainly not saying he’s right, he’s not, but there in lies the problem with most of the videos I see it’s all about product placement & advertising whether directly or indirectly & the presenters are loathed to be at all critical of the tools they are using.

Doug, yes the questions come in live. I agree with all the points you mentioned (y) I've watched most of the turning videos since lockdown started. I've enjoyed them and learnt quite a lot so I can't complain. He definitely is a company man, if a question up pops pertaining to something Axminster doesn't sell he gives no information. Fair enough, at least he's honest about it.

I've seen Jason Breach do a few live videos, he uses some stuff that Axminster doesn't sell. He'll quite happily say where he bought it from:LOL:

Dust spares sell these, they claim the 500g ones are okay for MDF dust etc, don't know what size they filter down to but must be quite fine.

https://www.dustspares.co.uk/filters/wwffb/woodwork-floppy-filter-bag.html

Interesting. Thanks for the link (y) I also have no idea what that equates to in terms of microns. To be honest, I wish I had the space to site a chip collector outside. My home workshop is a tiny outbuilding on my parents property and I don't think my dad would appreciate me building a small lean to on the side of it.:)

I use a Record Power CamVac with the 3 motors at 3kw which is located next the lathe and I always were a Trend Airpro when sanding. The double doors of the workshop are also open.

Back