Chip and dust collector filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest John

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been having a clear out/ clean out today, getting rid of all those tiny “just in case” pieces of wood, emptying bins and filters etc. One of these tasks was to empty the bag on my SIP extractor. Been needed doing for ages but doesn’t get a huge amount of use. I have a fine filter cartridge on this..... the one that have the paddles that you can turn round and knock out the fine dust. Having done this, I took the filter canister outside and gave it a serious clean, utilising my compressor and a blow gun from the outside then vacuuming the dust from the floor. I did this three times with the dust pile getting much smaller each time. My question is, do these filters ever actually need replacing, or can I do this for ever? Do they deteriorate or block up more than can be cleared with an airline?

The filter media wear out over time necessitating replacement. The paddles also cause wear to the tips of the folds allowing finer dust to pass through them.

I got a bunch of plugged industrial filters from work and took them to a filter cleaning company. When I went in and said I have a bunch of filters to clean he said they don't do the ones on home DC's. I told them they were not that kind and asked why they don't do the Chinese DC filters. He said they disintegrate during the cleaning process because they were poorly made. If you are going to replace the ones you have get good industrial filters. One of the members found an English place that have them at a fair rate. http://www.djnuk.co.uk

Pete

Forgot to say to tell them you want filters that filter from the inside out. Industry usually filter from the outside in. Ask for .5 micron or better filters.

Thanks for that Pete. I shall look into replacing it some time in the future. I’m sure it hasn’t had enough use yet to justify changing yet. One thing that did strike me however, was that turning the paddles before removing the cartridge, resulted in a large amount of fine dust lying on the top of the cone and not dropping into the bag. Made me think that swishing the paddle round now and then was just depositing the dust onto the top of the cone which on the next switch on would chuck it all back into the filter ?

Just realised that I called my extractor an SIP when I really meant JET. It’s the big one with the cyclone c one in the bottom section. Not as good as a proper separator but it works after a fashion.

Back