Chinese brass locks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at a customer's house last night and I commented on a very nice chinese chest that they had. The owner had been left it by his mother but the couldn't find the keys anywhere. Consequently, they have no idea what's in it!

The locks are the sliding padlock type all of which seem to have a different key shape. They are (from ones I've seen before) the type where the key pushes one part of the lock away from the other to open. My parents had a similar one and IIRC the mechanism wasn't complicated but it could also have just looked simple!

Does anyone know if there is a no key (non damaging!) way to get these open or a source that could make replacement keys - tricky I imagine because the locks can't be sent separately.

If I get a chance I'll post a photo.

Cheers

Tim

Can you not simply call a locksmith to come round and pick it for you?

Other than that its the James Bond hair pin method - should take 5 seconds and a fight with a baddie before you see whats inside :shock:

Steve.

Make sure you get a proper lock & safe smith not one of the ripoff merchants who will want to drill or cut the lock without even trying to pick it.

Jason

Back