China

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago for recommendations for machinery service engineers but raised no replies.
I'd like to update what's gone on since then.
I contacted three companies for advice. They were all woodworking machinery engineers and each told the same story that their work was embedded in the production service side of manufacturing ww machinery.....keeping it running.
One chap said that a typical day call could range up to £400 for an assessment, part orders and machine check out...For my particular case.
Then another visit for fitting etc. At more cost.
Another chap said that amateur wood working machinery were generally not catered for on the repair side as the cost for a call out and work generally came to a high proportion of the machine cost, meaning it would be cheaper to replace than restore. While adding that if a machine has run even moderate hours for 14 years once one part goes its generally a domino effect.
The best and informative discussion was with the engineer that Axminster recommended who I believe lives in Devon and set up in repairing and service.
He comes North once a year. So there is an opportunity to piggy back his visit in February....however as covid struck the companies he usually sees have not arranged appointments so far.

Maybe a lot on here know this already, but I couldn't find anything when I searched, and I'm hoping it will be of benefit to newbies.
So, from here I decided to look at planer thicknessers.
The difficulty here was actually finding anything new that's available for delivery.
Most outlets are showing no stock so I've stuck enquiries in for delivery lead times.
While I await replies, one chap at Kendal WW tools, when I enquired about the Scheppach 3.1 pt told me that at the moment the factory making them had closed down because of covid.
So now I suppose I will have to verify that information.
So apart from charnwoods own brand and the more expensive stuff it appears the market place has dried up for the time being.
I knew we relied on China for a lot of cheap tools but I just wonder how much Chinese manufacturing is ingrained into all our day to day things we take for granted and the repercussions its going to have on our lives and inability to do certain tasks in this long running covid nightmare?

We rely on China for a lot of tools full stop A lot of stuff full stop. Is that a bad thing? My answer is yes in some respects and no in others. There are two sides to every argument which is why social media is harmful due to polarisation.

This phenomenon isn't just tools, it's everything, but these days we live in a throwaway society for virtually everything. I *think* the next generation will be putting the brakes on that, the current level of consumerism is totally unsustainable and there will need to be a seismic shift to rectify it.

Shame I can't run for PM, I'd soon have this nonsense sorted out.

I think you are overestimating the 'next generation' from my experience, It's a live fast, buy stuff, throw away, die young, sod the planet type of attitude

I disagree, I think the next generation are the most aware generation we have ever had, spoilt by a few f**kwittery celebrities". In fairness this celebrity culture seems to have been driven by the likes of Simon Cowell and Co.

Last edited:
I disagree, I think the next generation are the most aware generation we have ever had, spoilt by a few f**kwittery celebrities". In fairness this celebrity culture seems to have been driven by the likes of Simon Cowell and Co.

So aware they disagree that Covid 19 is real, they are invincible, and the vaccine is to inject us all with chips.
But that's getting off topic I'm afraid

What about them two knob heads from the north east that for some reason Santander allowed to tarnish there image, are these the few f**kwittery celebrities or the likes of those fake looking rich women with large rears and deformed faces.

What about them two knob heads from the north east that for some reason Santander allowed to tarnish there image, are these the few f**kwittery celebrities or the likes of those fake looking rich women with large rears and deformed faces.
If you are referring to Ant & Dec they are both aged 45 ... hardly the youth of today ...

So aware they disagree that Covid 19 is real, they are invincible, and the vaccine is to inject us all with chips.
But that's getting off topic I'm afraid

If mine's coming with chips, I want cracked pepper or hot pepper flavored chips.

I was thinking more of the "love island", TOWIE, etc, the women who post pics of themselves on the beach in Dubai.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a danger in believing as common truths that which the media report on TV and in the press.

Were there a three mile stretch of sandy beach and 30 people crowded at one end smoking weed and imbibing booze, would the media report a deserted beach or irresponsible rave.

If you are old enough, remember how it was 50 or 60 years ago. Your parents thought rock and roll was discordant rubbish, flat pack furniture was the work of a design genius, miniskirts were sinful, and short back and sides was the only game in town.

Unsurprisingly the world has changed. Not all kids are irresponsible, smart phone obsessed, lovers of lowest common denominator TV shows. Many are far more thoughful than I ever was about climate change, bio-diversity, rainforests etc etc.

As a principle we should all reflect on how things were when we were their age - not because the past should be some sort of constant, but to properly understand that the world moves on and we don't always change with it.

OK so I framed "next generation" without much context, since I'm gen X and I assume the "next" generation to be the one coming through rather than being in adulthood as millennials all are now (they're mid-20s at least).

Gen Z have a very different approach than millennials, the latter probably being the peak of consumerism culture.

Back