Child's Toy Chest Plans????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Can anybody tell me where i can get some plans/drawings to make a Child's Toy Chest.

Looking to make one with a rounded top, a bit like a 'treasure chest'.

any info appreciated

Cheers :D

Michel

Michel,

GWW did a domed-top chest a few years ago. I wonder if it might be in the Wonder Book of Projects or whatever it's called? JOAT on The Wreck usually manages to round up all the available plans online, so try the results of this search too.

Cheers, Alf

Hello all,

Thanks for the info, I've had a good look on the net, but found nothing might have to re-think the project.

Maybe a flat lid??

Any ideas?? :?

Do you know where i can buy Toy Box Lid Supports (specially weighted to prevent fingers from getting jammed)

Cheers :D

Michel

Alf,

Good old JOAT, he may paint his tools yellow but he sure does find a lot of plans :lol:

Signal

Bless him. He's just a frustrated DeWally owner. :D I do find myself wondering exactly how he keeps track of all the links he finds. His bookmarks must resemble the family tree of a character out of Eastenders!

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Do a search on Jack Of All trades in the wreck and
it throws up 10000+ hits!!

Now thats SCARY!

Signal

Michel,

I was going to give you a good telling off!
No plans? Experiment, potter around, futter etc, etc. Build a Mark 1 and a Mark 2 and even a Mark 3 until you develop your skills. (I'm not assuming that you have no skills, just talking about treasure chest skills...). Lack of plans never stopped me.......Just make it up as you go along. That way the journey is often more fun than the destination (and plenty of wooden shrapnel for the fire when my virtual plans are badly planned).

Rgds

Noel

HI MICHEL If you want a rounded top, have a look at my rocking horse in the photo gallery.

I made the top seat myself by cutting a curve on the ends and then fastening the bits of wood to it. It works well, and the gap is such that only the tiniest of fingers would get in the top. The wood slats touch at the bottom, so fingers cannot be pushed right through.

If i make another one, the only modification i would make is to fasten the slats on using dowel and glue rather than screws, so that nothing is sticking out on top.

If you want a stronger lid, make a frame first and then fasten the slats to it. This would also give you something to fasten the hinges to.

As someone said earlier, try it out.If it does not work, try another.
There is a lot of fun involved in trying out different types.

regards
JOHN

JABBY":26f5gck5 said:
If i make another one, the only modification i would make is to fasten the slats on using dowel and glue rather than screws, so that nothing is sticking out on top.
Counterbore for the screwheads and plug. Tapered plug cutters are excellent for giving you a virtually invisible plug.

I found the GWW issue with the "coopered tool chest" and to my horror it dates back to #54 March 1997. I thought it was only a couple of years ago. :shock: It occured to me that if you were going to paint it, you could use that flexi-ply stuff perhaps? Just a passing thought.

Cheers, Alf

Michael

Can anybody tell me where i can get some plans/drawings to make a Child's Toy Chest.

In answer to your question, have a look at The Router Dec 2003/ Jan 2004 Issue No. 54.

Page 78 has what is described as a Pine Tool chest with a coopered top (curved to you and me).

Regards
Spark :idea:

Hello all,

typical been through all my magazines and guess what :roll: , I've got everything but The Router Dec 2003/ Jan 2004 Issue No. 54.

Is this one still in the shops :?:

Or do i need to get a back issue

Rgds

Michel :D

Michel,

I'm pretty sure Anton Fitzpatrick did one. Maybe try D & L website.

Rgds

Noel

Well I'm going to design my own chest with a coopered lid and give it a go in the New Year :wink: If it comes out ok I'll stick a picture or two in the Gallery....sorry Michel, good luck with your project :)

Michel":2rj58sa8 said:
Hello all,

typical been through all my magazines and guess what :roll: , I've got everything but The Router Dec 2003/ Jan 2004 Issue No. 54.

Is this one still in the shops :?:

Or do i need to get a back issue

Rgds

Michel :D

I bought this mag on Monday from WHS in Uxbridge. Be quick and you should hopefully find it too.

Useful step by step how-to for a basic router table in there too from Ron Fox. I'll be adapting that one for a piece of kitchen worktop I have in the garage.

Hello again,

I've tried D H&L for stuff on Anton Fitzpatrick (woodworks). No info at all on the site. Loads about Tommy Walsh though :?

Seen most of his programmes though must of missed the chest one :!:

Also tried everywhere in my neck of the woods for The Router magazine Dec/Jan but nobody has got one. Sadly no WHS in Guernsey to try. Looked at their website, but its not even listed :?:

So I've put pen to paper and saw to wood and started a prototype,

Found some child safety stays at Issac Lord (thanks for the info Noel) :D

Like you said can't beat a bit of experimenting, just was after a few ideas to get me started.

Hope to have something resembling a chest some time next year, after over indulging myself with food and beer :D

Maybe even burn off some of those calories :lol:

Wishful thinking i guess

All the best to you all

Cheers

Michel :)

Michel,

I wrote the article on the coopered chest in the Router. Sorry you can't get hold of a copy. If you want to e-mail me your postal address I'll send you a copy... providing you promise to buy the next issue :wink:

Ralph.

Back