Childs Play Air Cleaner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This is a bit long winded but stay with it :) . Ok this was made on a budget tighter than a fishes ear :) Materials you need : plywood (in my case i use the packing case from my P/T) ,Batten (off cuts from workshop build) ,3 pin plug (taken off new P/T as 16amp plugs on machinery), flex (roll i had in the shed), hoover bag (blagged from cupboard), mesh (old barby grill), fan (old domestic air heater fan was couple of quid from a job), foam coarse filter (from the shed old fish keeping stuff), medium filter (blagged from a workmate DWAH filter) .
First of all i cut plywood 150mm larger than fan all the way around,marked out exhaust hole and cut out .This is a good time to wire the fan with the flex. Then cut short battens to space the filters off the fan housing and fix them to the sides, then assembled the box .
I used battens to create crude frames to fix the filter material and mesh, don't cut foam filters too close to the frame as this will seal the rear of the box when they have been installed. Ok put the fine filter in the back first , then medium and then course i made a small frame to keep then in . Then sand and in my case a paint job done .It will become a bit clearer when you see the pictures here http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/slideshow?.dir=/cc10&.src=ph .
Ok the good things about using a fan from a warm air heater are they run very quiet, circulate a lot of air but dont create a dust storm and low power consumption.
The reason this post is called childs play is because HID said i am like a kid get a big expensive toy then i just play with the box :lol:

AP,

Yup. definitely qualifies for the Scrooge award!

I shall be interested to learn how much dust it collects. It would appear that it will be limited i.a. by the area of the filter exposed to the air and depend also upon the orientation of the filter (eg upright or horizontal).

I guess any dust it collects is better there than in your lungs and that is true of all these filtration devices. I used not to worry overmuch about dust and relied upon my DC and a Microclene to keep it out of the air but found that I was getting a stuffy nose etc. etc. nonetheless and have taken to wearing a good dust mask (3M) for many operations that I never used to worry about and it really helps. You can even get used to it I find - and eventually reach the stage where it feels uncomfortable not to have it on (a bit like driving without a seat belt for those old enough to remember what it felt like!

It will be mounted in the horizontal position at high level, the filter is 8 x the size of the exhaust which is the same as the heater duct it came from .The air flow is quite good as you can see the dust going into the filters .The hoover bag is from the same hoovers we were issued at work for sucking up soot and is also used in our asbestos removal hoover .The heater the fan came out of served a 2 bed house so my little workshop should be no problem .

do you mean the hoover bag ? if you did i cut it up to make the fine filter :eek:

Been out in the workshop planing and sawing 3 cft of douglas fir and 4 cft of beech so the dust has been flying and i can honestly say the air cleaner has performed better than expected you should see the muck that thing sucked up .I only realised how much after cleaning the filter tonight maybe next time i will take a b4 and after picture of the filter. Also since i have been using it my nose and throat have been alot clearer i think this is a must now did not think that before but after looking at those filters man o man . BTW the homemade filters woking well as no dust build up on fan or fan housing 8)

Hi AP
Not having a domestic fan heater to hand, can you ID a motor
for me from RS or similar?
(Electrickery is not my faulty........forte) :oops:

many thanks TX

Back