Childrens book storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Can anyone help ? I need to make some units for book and tape storage for children, I could make them out of MDF but would like to know if something like birch plywood would be okay ? can the edges be finished satisfatory, I would be using 18mm MDF what would be the thichness of plywood.
They will be a painted finish can you suggest a suitable finish.(I would like to spray them but have know experience)

Stanley :D

Hello Stanley and welcome to the forum :D
Birch ply will be more than enough for the storage you are considering, and can be painted very successfully as demonstrated by Johnelliott another forum member. I have just had a quik search around but could not find the post. I'm sure he will be along later.

Bean

Stanley

Welcome to the forum. Bean is right, John is your man on painting birch ply.

I do know however that unless you are using topnotch Birch ply that you can get voids which will show in the edges.

Obviously this wont matter if you are planning to lip the shelves.

If you are going to use MDf then I suggest you seal the edges with an oil based paint - in fact probably best using an oil based primer anyway to stop the water raising the 'grain' in MDF which is ugly and ( I have found) impossible to sand out. I personally think that the sealing products supposedly for exactly this puropse are a waste of money.

Cheers

Tim

Back