Child Safe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to make a toy box, that will be have a painted finish to match other items in the bedroom. I've had one of these 'trivial pursuit' moments seem to recall that children's toys etc need to have Child Safe paint. Is this correct?

Freetochat, if you've got to paint it usewater based paints i.e. acyrlic paint if you're going to show the wood (assuming it is wood :roll: ) then either Oil it or use acrylic varnish.
By the way, have your Hammers turned up yet?

Stephen

The position for toys specifically is governed by the Toys (Safety) Regulations. This applies to any person who, in the course of a trade or business, supply or manufacture toys (this does not necessarily mean that the person's business has to be of actually supplying toys). With respect paints and protective coatings it sets out the maximum daily intake levels for nasty elements (Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Cadmium, Chromium, Lead, Mercury and Selenium). Obviously, the key concern related to quantities of lead in paints (not an issue with new paints these days). As to your toy box, it may not itself constitute a "toy" for the purposes of the Regulations. You may not be subject to the Regulations if, for example, you are making the item for a friend. If you were selling the item commercially then the various bits of consumer protection legislation would apply (e.g. fit for purpose and generally not a hazard). I would think that most paints/varnishes are child safe once dry. If in doubt, I'd check with the manufacturers who I think have to provide hazard data for their products in any event.
Regards, Edmund

Thanks Edmund - my concern was that I was being paid to do the job, so it could be classedd as a commercial transaction, and the close link of a toy chest for toys.

Stephen - no the Hammers have not arrived yet, counting the days as I have no machines at the moment. Would expect to be up and running over the next two weeks, if delivery times are kept to by Felder. I'll let you know about the bandsaw, when I've used it in anger.

Are you going to the open day later this month?

Latest posts

Back