Child safe wood treatment (learning tower)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have made a learning tower for my grandson, its made from recycled bed slats

What would you suggest as a child safe treatment ?

Would just wax be sufficient ? or something else

Any advice appreciated

Rustins quick drying internal varnish is toy safe and is really nice to use, so if I was selling a CE marked child’s toy, I’d use that. But for “personal” use I’d say it also depends on the child and the use, some chew, some don’t, would you use the same paint on a kids toy that you use on a door, because they can easily chew both of those!

Aidan

Here's another link to chestnut child safe product descriptions.

If the item is expected to get rough and tumble abuse and likely to last long enough that it might look better with a 'refresher' I would say use Hard Wax Oil.

One or more coats, remember to wipe off any excess (pooling) oil after a few minutes to soak in, repeat coat after touch dried but before fully polymerised as per the product can recommendations.

marcros":3fgxqrhj said:
this is quite useful, the 3rd question down. It is specific to Chestnut's products, because they have tested those.

https://chestnutproducts.co.uk/faq/

Thanks for your reply, not sure why but didn't get any notifications of any replies?

I do have it set to notify but find it often doesn't work (I have checked spam folder)

So thank you for the link, I have a few of their products, I was toying with sanding sealer followed by acrylic lacquer

I saw your other post with hard wax oil, sounds interesting I may have a go with that, I have a supplier not so far away

Thanks again

TheTiddles":37vaahkf said:
Rustins quick drying internal varnish is toy safe and is really nice to use, so if I was selling a CE marked child’s toy, I’d use that. But for “personal” use I’d say it also depends on the child and the use, some chew, some don’t, would you use the same paint on a kids toy that you use on a door, because they can easily chew both of those!

Aidan

Thanks for your input, I have some rustins internal, I may try that if I don't go the lacquer direction

I guess I was just being lazy, thinking of waxing only

It depends what the daughter wants ;-)

Thanks for that (I got a notification this time for once)

I only have a little, but find its okay for some things and not others, not sure it would be the right sort of finish for this learning tower

Its certainly a thought though, thanks for the suggestion

AESamuel":33mnoue8 said:
Shellac! Used as a coating on medication, sweets, used in dentistry. As well as making a lovely wood finish.

I’d exercise a little caution with that, whilst shellac was (maybe still is) used in medical and food grades, what you have on the shelf likely isn’t. They use water in making pharmaceuticals (about 9 different grades from what I remember) but it still isn’t advisable to drink from a puddle.

Aidan

Back