Child Safe Paints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone any recommendations on child-safe paints for toys? i.e. meet BS 5665 - EN71/2 Toy Safety Regulations

I've found International Paints Japlac enamel conforms.

Are acrylic paints safe IN GENERAL, or only particular makes?

Duncan
Not all acrylic paints are child-safe, unless it is marked safe or BS5665 I would not risk it.
You can get Humbrol enamel spray which meets the required regs from decoratingdirect.co.uk, It costs £3.39 for a 400ml can.
Mick

Duncan,
With reference to child safe paint, may I suggest that you wander over to www.ktoys.co.uk and have a look at the Westcountry Paints section.

I've used them for some time and they give a good finish on most surfaces. They conform to BS 5665 - EN71-3 and if you want to use them for toys the guys at Ktoys will provide you with a safety certificate if you'd like one.

I found the web site last night and....well, here we are. Hope I will be able to contribute reasonable opinions in the forums ( and find some answers ).

Regards,

Druid

You could always contact the TOYMAKERS GUILD

They have a website WWW.TOYMAKERSGUILD.CO.UK

You need to join the club like, but the website does have a book for sale on child toy safety and regs, which costs 3 pound

I dont know whether you can buy the but without joining the guild, but any decent book shop should be able to advise

PS I also dabble with wooden kids toys and puzzles, hence the interest in this aspect of woodwork

cheers

john

Back