Chest of tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

Guess who got first dibs on a chest full of tools?

More on this story later.....

:D

Pete

Hi, Pete

I have got the good stuff :D

Pictures to follow.

Pete

Diston Preston Stanley :D :D

I've checked the For Sale section and it's not there... c'mon! Show us quick before the bootfair threads distract us.

dont leave us hanging you meany

(coming from the dude that has been promising bootfair pics for ages)

adidat

O/K chaps here you go

Big mortice chisels, only one with a good handle unfortunately.

DSC_0076.jpg

Yes that is a 300mm ruler thay are 'kin big

Seclection on chisels and a 1 1/4 pairing chisel probbaly Marples.

DSC_0077.jpg

A couple of Stanleys and a WS spokeshave

DSC_0087.jpg

Stanley 42X saw set

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

Nice hand grinder with a good stone.

DSC_0086.jpg

Hand pillar drill.

DSC_0099.jpg

Two boxes of filles.

DSC_0091.jpg

A side rebate plane.

DSC_0078.jpg

Which turns out to be a Preston.

DSC_0079.jpg

And finally a Stanley Compass plane.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

I was pleased with the haul specially the Preston side rebate and the Stanley compass plane, I passed on the general dross and the chest.

Pete

Edit forgot the saws

DSC_0090.jpg

Diston thumb hole rip Diston cross cut and a Tyzak tennon saw.

Ok, the chisels will be handy if you need to make some farm gates, and the plastic handled ones are fashionable again, but what about the rest of the story? Was it a present? A small ad? An overlooked gem on eBay? How much was it all? Did it come from a big glittering cave guarded by a wicked tool genie? What about the Disston stuff? etc!

Edit: ok your edit beat my reminder on the saws!

I'd say that was gloatable :)

I'd like a pillar drill, if only there was room in the workshop. But that Disston thumbhole ripsaw looks like a find, and the Preston side rebate is probably gloatable in itself.

Hi,

The chest was oned by a mate of a mate who is emagrating and had his grandads tool chest in the loft for years.

I paid £95 for the lot which I think was a fair price.

I cleaned up the Preston side rebate.

Before
DSC_0078.jpg

After
DSC_0100.jpg

And next to some of my side rebate planes
DSC_0101.jpg

I cleaned up the Compass plane it only needed a clean and a sharpen, and had a play with it, it works a treat.

Pete

yes a great haul the side rebate and the thumb hole are great

No skills":1kyeqycp said:
Yes envious of the rip saw, missed a cheap one on evilbay ages ago by £1

thats not really true unless you have other information, the winning bidder could have bid £100 more than you, but i must agree its annoying, e.g when a sniper got a mini preston spokeshave for 50p more than my bid

adidat

Hey Pete...what a find! And bargain price...as you probably know..just the compass and side rebate will probably tip that!

I had one of those little pillar drills...they are beautifully engineered...great gizmos.

The ripsaw is a real beauty too...I love the thumb holed ones...

What makes me smile the most is that I know from your posts that this haul has gone to the very best home it could.

Bravo my friend! =D>

Jim

Hi, Chaps

I think I did well and I intend to keep them in use not sitting on a shelf or thrown out.

The thumb hole rip had a chunk missing from the top horn that needs replacing. I will have to dig out some apple to graft a new chunk on.

I had a sort out of my saws and I seem to have a few, quite a few :oops:

Pete

what exactly were compass planes used for? It is not often that they come up for discussion, and I cant remember a post where somebody had either used one on a project or bought one? Is there an alternative for their application that people fund to be cheaper/more available?

marcros":36b6fg8p said:
what exactly were compass planes used for? It is not often that they come up for discussion, and I cant remember a post where somebody had either used one on a project or bought one? Is there an alternative for their application that people fund to be cheaper/more available?

Hi Marcros

They are for planing curves. The old wooden ones were made to suit repetitive jobs and were of a fixed radius...so if you had a job requiring a different radius...you had to make another plane. Rather like the many moulding planes you see...one for each job.

The Bailey compass planes were designed to cope with various radii. The knob on the top bent the steel "sole" plate and would go from tight concave to flat to tight convex, thus covering every job.

They have many cast protrusions which makes them vulnerable to damage, something to look out for when choosing a good one. The older ones are (as with all these planes) far better made and tend to work better.

Jim

marcros":3qn3ty46 said:

Well, for planing curves, but to be helpful and give some examples - a joiner would use one for making windows with segmental or arched tops - the inner and outer edges of the frame and sash would all be on different radius curves so the facility to adjust the amount of curvature would have been really useful.

In cabinet making, a round table top would need to be planed around the outside - ok you could do this with a flat plane or spokeshave but a concave plane is easier. (This is before the age of the electric router.)

I admit that I bought one just because it's a fascinating gizmo and I found one at a sensible price, but I did use it to plane a curve on a chairback in my very slowly progressing project here:

IMG_0305.jpg

The picture doesn't show it very clearly, but the wooden plane in that picture is a (fixed) compass plane.

Hi, Marcos

I made a compass plane from an old woodie smother to plane the curved rails on the backs of my chairs.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

I was tricky to get the sole to match the radius I needed.

So when I make the next two from the wood stacked up in the hall for the last two years it should be easier.

Pete

Back